Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parking brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking brake issue

So i took the camper to the storage yesterday and used the parking brake while hooking and unhooking the trailer, and after I left something just didnt feel right, then just a few minutes later with the window down i could hear a metallic "taping" sound.

Stuck my head out the window and could tell it was coming from the rear of the truck. So I pull over, get out and could smell hot brakes, i feel the driver rear wheel and its hot....

Get home look under the truck and the parking brake leaver where the cable attaches to it looks like it didnt return to its released position all the way, so i get in the truck and press the parking brake and release it a time or two, still stuck.

I will be taking the wheel and breaks apart later today to see whats up.

Im 100% sure i didnt drive with the break on, and i should say that i replaced that caliper about a year ago due to it not releasing so maybe its bad.

Last edited by jordanb8812; 03-22-2015 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

Not sure if you're seeking more information or...
Old 03-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and what they did to fix the problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Inside the emergency brake in the center of the disc you'll find a lever mechanism that will seize up. Simply oil it and free it up in a vise. This lever is connected to the cable and acts on the mini shoes when engaged. Also, if your cable is the culprit, attach a bungie cord nice and tight to the cable end, oil the cable with penetrating oil and work it on and off from inside.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanb8812
So i took the camper to the storage yesterday and used the parking brake while hooking and unhooking the trailer, and after I left something just didnt feel right, then just a few minutes later with the window down i could hear a metallic "taping" sound.

Stuck my head out the window and could tell it was coming from the rear of the truck. So I pull over, get out and could smell hot brakes, i feel the driver rear wheel and its hot....

Get home look under the truck and the parking brake leaver where the cable attaches to it looks like it didnt return to its released position all the way, so i get in the truck and press the parking brake and release it a time or two, still stuck.

I will be taking the wheel and breaks apart later today to see whats up.

Im 100% sure i didnt drive with the break on, and i should say that i replaced that caliper about a year ago due to it not releasing so maybe its bad.
the caliper has nothing to do with the parking brake...
Old 03-22-2015, 09:18 AM

Yeah I'm quite aware that the parking brake is not directly related to the brake caliper, but the smell of burnt brakes and significantly hot wheel can mean a stuck or seized caliper....
Old 03-22-2015, 09:23 AM
Some guy

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,286 Posts

The caliper pistons are notorious for breaking and seizing up. I've replaced three calipers on the truck and I've only had it for a little over two years.

Back to the original topic, the scissor lever on mine was rusted into one solid piece. I soaked it in PB blaster and beat the hell out of it with a hammer to turn it back into two pieces, wire-brushed off all the rust, and then coated it with caliper grease to prevent that from happening again. So far so good.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

My parking brake seized up partially.. Cycling the E brake of and on numerous times fixed it.. I felt no drag, but the parking brake light was not shutting off..
If this ^^doesn't work, you need to clean or rebuild the drum/disc set with a new spring kit.. Replace all pads, shoes and possibly rotors while your at it..

If you take it for a drive and you don't seem to notice any noticeable drag, splash some water on each rotor and see which rotor turns the water into a sizzling steam instantly.. You can usually smell which wheel is affected without the water test as well..

If it does turn out to be a caliper, always replace them in pairs if they are original..
Old 03-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine does the same thing every now and then, even after I replaced the rear rotors, and new shoes, hardware and cable just a few months ago. But my driveway is pretty steep so I'm using the park brake every single day. But anytime I feel it's not releasing all the way I just put the park brake on then reverse in 4 hi and let it self adjust then problem solved for 3-4 weeks haha
Old 03-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanb8812
Yeah I'm quite aware that the parking brake is not directly related to the brake caliper, but the smell of burnt brakes and significantly hot wheel can mean a stuck or seized caliper....
That or your parking brake is not releasing all the way...it does not mean your caliper is bad...you stated you just replaced it a year ago due to your parking brake not releasing ...your caliper was not releasing or your parking brake was not releasing ??

Quick Reply: Parking brake issue