Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Parasitic draw? aftermarket alarm/actuators and stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parasitic draw? aftermarket alarm/actuators and stereo

Just installed a viper 3105v alarm, added door lock actuators for keyless entry, and installed a new radio and speakers (no subs or amp). In my 2004 XL 4.6

It took a couple weeks for me to finish the install with an hour here and there in the evenings. Went to start my truck and drive it around after everything tested out okay, and wouldn't kick over.

Took my battery down to autozone and found out that while it held a charge, it wasn't putting out enough cranking amps. it was over 5 years old according to the date on the battery so figured its about time anyways.

bought a new battery, put it in, and it fired right up.

Decided to do a parasitic draw test anyways and my truck is averaging .23 amps (232 m/A). To me this seams pretty high, but I have no base point from before the install and I just bought the truck. Pulled each fuse on the alarm system, radio power, and ignition switch feed (what I'm assuming is the correct feed for the 12v constant to my alarm) and it still has the same draw.

While I plan to do a more thorough investigation and pull all the fuses one by one. I'm curious what others have as a constant draw on their truck? Maybe this isn't out of range.

Also this is a secondary vehicle, and I'm wondering if I should just get a solar trickle charger for it? I only start it about once a week or two, and don't necessarily take large trips, so I might need one regardless.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump.

hoping to at least find out what some others might have as "normal" draw. With and with out an stock/aftermarket alarm.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Parasitic draw? aftermarket alarm/actuators and stereo