Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Painting Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Wheels

I'm sure that there's a thread on here somewhere about this but I'm wanting to paint my stock wheels black as soon as it dries up some. I would prefer to leave them on the truck while I'm doing them and know I'll have to make sure everything is covered up really well. Would y'all recommend roughing the wheels up with some sand paper and if so what grit? Also any recommendations on paint type would be greatly appreciated. I know plasti-dip is a big thing and I have previously used it on my old Jeep's wheels but don't want to worry about it peeling off or anything.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:41 PM
DavisPerformanceFords

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duplicolor has some good wheel paints now probably at your local parts store, just make sure there clean and scuff with a scotchbrite pad. You can use card board or index card and stick them around the wheel between the wheel lip and tire. Been think about doin the 20s on my FX4 if I don't buy new wheels here pretty soon. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I just had mine dipped gloss black yesterday. Not painted like you're looking for but at least you'll get an idea what it would look like. Not sure if I have the same wheels as you. Mine are the 18" FX4 wheels.
Attached Thumbnails Painting Wheels-2.jpg   Painting Wheels-1.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TDfordman
Duplicolor has some good wheel paints now probably at your local parts store, just make sure there clean and scuff with a scotchbrite pad. You can use card board or index card and stick them around the wheel between the wheel lip and tire. Been think about doin the 20s on my FX4 if I don't buy new wheels here pretty soon. Good luck!
Yep, a gray 3M Scotchbrite is much easier than sandpaper as it will go around all the curves a lot easier.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

+1 I would use the grey 3m scuff pads, maybe the red if you have a rougher place. Also, if you are masking off the tires, be sure and pick up some skinny painting tape, you can use it around the bead faster and do a better job than with the wide tape.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:04 AM
all mixed up

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I painted my wheels on my fx4 with the duplicolor wheel paint about 2 years ago then added red pinstripe about 6 months later. I did remove them from the truck because it is easier and a lot less to mask off, you don't want to get paint on your rotor or in your brakes. The other thing you could do is piastidip them, with this there is no masking of the wheel and you can leave the wheels on the truck just have to mask around and behind. The only thing is with plasti dip you have to put it on right to get it to peal off of the tire and it is rated to last about 3-5 years. We did this to my wife's car. Here are pics of both. I also have video of me peeling the dip of the tires if it can up load.

Painting Wheels-image-2172777258.jpg

Painting Wheels-image-435411097.jpg
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Yea mine are the 18" FX4 wheels. I really like them but want to black out my truck so painting is the best option until I get new wheels. The gloss looks awesome on yalls so I'm definitly going to go that route. If it'll ever warm up a little bit one of these days I'll paint them and post a picture of how it turns out.
Also, I want to keep the blue Ford emblem in the center of the wheels, would yall recommend just taping it off or removing the cap and painting it separate?
Thanks again.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:33 AM
all mixed up

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleDFX4
Thanks for the info guys. Yea mine are the 18" FX4 wheels. I really like them but want to black out my truck so painting is the best option until I get new wheels. The gloss looks awesome on yalls so I'm definitly going to go that route. If it'll ever warm up a little bit one of these days I'll paint them and post a picture of how it turns out. Also, I want to keep the blue Ford emblem in the center of the wheels, would yall recommend just taping it off or removing the cap and painting it separate? Thanks again.
Taping the emblems is easy just use a razor blade to trim it. What I did since I have the red and black look, I had red and black decals made that went over the existing ones.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:38 PM

From the looks of it you're probably wanting something permanent but I still recommend plastidip. I dipped my stock wheels and I couldn't be happier withwith the results. Don't like it or get bored of them and just peel it off.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You can take off the aluminum piece on the center caps so you can paint that separately and not paint for ford emblem and fake lugs

Quick Reply: Painting Wheels