Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Painted My Bed's 2-tone & Niteshade Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Painted My Bed's 2-tone & Niteshade Fogs

So I got a lot done around the house friday and saturday that I thought I would take some time and do some work on Blue. I have always been meaning to transition over from the silver 2-tone to the dark shadow. Don't get me wrong, I loved the silver when I bought the truck. But I painted the fender flares silver and it distracted from the blue, which is the reason I bought the truck.

First took off the rear flares & masked off the truck. Then I sanded the 2-tone & bumper lightly w/ some 220. Toweled clean. Then I sprayed 1 light/medium coat of white primer, dry 30 min, then 2nd coat medium/heavy and dry for 1hr. I then wetsanded lightly w/ 1000. Terry cloth dry. 3 coats of dark shadow: 1st light, so much that I could see patches of white here and there; 2nd coat medium w/ a greater overlap of sprays; 3rd coat medium w/ cross pattern spraying. I waited 30 min between the 1st & 2nd coat and resprayed the 3rd coat Sunday morning after seeing it in the light (2nd coat was via headlights). And yes you are reading correct, I didnt sand in between ANY coats. Why? I like the rough feel that my flares have (did them this same way) and wanted to match it on the 2-tone since they carried the color over the wells. Finally I put on 2 coats of clear, both light/medium. I let all of that sit in the sun for 2 hrs before I removed my masking. I have 2 spots on the rear bumper where I guess my tape came over the edge but all in all I'm pleased.

I also niteshaded my fogs to give my bumper the dark look across the entire front. I'll be doing the cab in dark shadow next weekend. Special thanks to AK_Cowboy for the kick in the *** to get me started on this!
Attached Thumbnails Painted My Bed's 2-tone & Niteshade Fogs-paintline.jpg  
Attached Images     
Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great man....can't wait to see it finished!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Dang that color combo looks so good. good work dude. Truck is gonna look sick when its all done.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Go Noles >>---;--->

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great work bud, i really like it, its gonna look amazing when you finish the cab
Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 PM

Thanks to all the views and the comments... If I didnt have to work in the morning... I'd be at home taping/painting the cab right now (just takes too much effort putting the flares on in the dark).
Old 08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you do that with a can of paint? I have the exact same 2 tone color you had and I have always wanted to go darker on the lower grey.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 PM
big cube 426

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks good.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by XPerties
Did you do that with a can of paint? I have the exact same 2 tone color you had and I have always wanted to go darker on the lower grey.
Yes sir, rattle can. Autozone has the exact Dark Shadow Grey. 5 cans for the whole 2-tone. Took me 1 can each for the bumpers, 1 for the bed's 2-tone, and 1 each side of the cab. 4 cans of clear. Green masking tape. Then I got this stuff from lowes, its plastic w/ a tape edge (pain in the *** to undo in long sheets, but awesome) and walla. i'll take pics this weekend of each stage of me masking for you. I say do it. Give yourself a full 3 days. dont rush. bed/rear bumper 1 day. Cab another. Front last day. Do it. Do oit. DO IT (starsky and hutch) DO IT
Old 08-16-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good! Finally someone else besides me took the plunge and VHT their fog lights.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by boilerup15
looks good! Finally someone else besides me took the plunge and VHT their fog lights.
That has always bothered me after painting the bumper dark shadow, those bright *** lenses of the fogs (bright as in shiny and light in color). I honestly lost just a little of light, but I love the look. Always liked that about yours too.

Quick Reply: Painted My Bed's 2-tone & Niteshade Fogs