Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

painted interiors

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default painted interiors

Anybody done it? im thinking the dash and door panels. I can get rugs, headliners, and seat covers, just thinking of the dash pieces and door panels. Any thoughts? Pictures a plus?
Old 09-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've seen some pics of interior mods that included painting of the dash....

Try searching on "interior mods".

It seems this old post came up a few weeks ago.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

ive been thinkin about painting my interior... but then i think about it and i just dont have the ballz to do it... i dont want to mess it all up
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I painted mine (no pics, but can get). I used Krylon Fusion Paint for plastics. Took 3-4 coats, none were heavy spray coats is why. I found I got better results doing multiple coats, differentiating spray patterns each time. I left the dark grey (around the vents) alone, and all my light grey went to black. I have a lariat cluster bezel, which is black, but the leather top I kept light tan, for a contrast. I'll be doing the carbon fiber fabric overlay on the dark greys next weekend. Just take all the parts out, and take your time. I didnt remove my airbags on the passenger side, just masked off the whole truck and sprayed in-place.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
ive been thinkin about painting my interior... but then i think about it and i just dont have the ballz to do it... i dont want to mess it all up
thats right where i am with the idea, sounds doable but i just dont have the ballz to do it without seeing it done..

vano, pics would be awesome!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Sorry for the low quality, but the truck is in the garage and between the glare and my flash, pics arent best (atleast when I saw them on the phone). I'll get more tonight when I get home and its still light.

Its hard to mess it up. My advice: Use the Krylon fusion and DON'T expect to get it done in 2 coats, maybe even 3. Also, don't spray the actual vinyl handle on the doors w/ the krylon; it won't ever dry! lol. I had black hands for a week until I accetoned it off. I used some caliper spray, then sprayed over that. seems to have done the trick.
Attached Thumbnails painted interiors-cab1.jpg   painted interiors-cab2.jpg   painted interiors-cab3.jpg  
Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 AM

How did you do your blue dash lights they look great!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by mainstang
How did you do your blue dash lights they look great!
Blue LED Swap. Search "Cluster LED" and you should get some threads. They look even more bad*** @ night, imho.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VanoFord
Sorry for the low quality, but the truck is in the garage and between the glare and my flash, pics arent best (atleast when I saw them on the phone). I'll get more tonight when I get home and its still light.

Its hard to mess it up. My advice: Use the Krylon fusion and DON'T expect to get it done in 2 coats, maybe even 3. Also, don't spray the actual vinyl handle on the doors w/ the krylon; it won't ever dry! lol. I had black hands for a week until I accetoned it off. I used some caliper spray, then sprayed over that. seems to have done the trick.
I want to do some interior painting. I'm de-croming my xlt. I have Crome door handle on the inside that I'd like to paint dark blue and also the center piece on the dash in dark blue. I just want to know if the paint wears off from always having your hands there? That's all I'm worried about.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:46 PM

i am actually in the process of doing so, i am going from TAN! to Black and White. i know crazy right but i hated the tan interior. so far i have painted the whole dash, i changed the carpet and for now until i find a good set of seat covers for a good price i began paintin the seats as well. so far ive done the back seats and they look good. Im also working on getting the headliner over to black suede. The painting part is tough ive had to take everything off prep and paint and reinstall but so far im loving the results.

Quick Reply: painted interiors