Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

paint, where to get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default paint, where to get?

well a while back i got hit by a guy at les schwab, its the size of a quarter on my bumper that isnt painted, it was scraped off....not dent nothin...but the local body shop wants 400 bucks to repaint the whole bumper, i got 400 bucks from the guy but now im thinkin wtf i dont wanna pay that much for something so simple...is there a place where i can get paint in a can or something, or a paint pen type deal with the same color as stock? i have the dark blue metalic color
Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, it depends on how you want it repaired. To correctly fix it, the body shop has to "feather" around the area by sanding it down lighter and lighter and then paint it. I sorta doubt they would have to paint a whole bumper for a quarter sized spot but it's always a LOT bigger area then most folks think. Then again, you could do it yourself but whereas it will escape immediate attention, once you really look at it, you can tell the difference.
I had a similar situation with a spoiler I had, had a dime sized paint chip on it, guy I knew who had a bumper repair business fixed it for $200 and I thought it was super expensive then year later turns out I worked for him for a summer and saw all what what into fixing that.....

but $400 seems a bit high, I'd check around.....
Old 12-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Car Audio Junkie

Originally Posted by Sogwap55
Well, it depends on how you want it repaired. To correctly fix it, the body shop has to "feather" around the area by sanding it down lighter and lighter and then paint it. I sorta doubt they would have to paint a whole bumper for a quarter sized spot but it's always a LOT bigger area then most folks think. Then again, you could do it yourself but whereas it will escape immediate attention, once you really look at it, you can tell the difference.
I had a similar situation with a spoiler I had, had a dime sized paint chip on it, guy I knew who had a bumper repair business fixed it for $200 and I thought it was super expensive then year later turns out I worked for him for a summer and saw all what what into fixing that.....

but $400 seems a bit high, I'd check around.....

lol i live in the country, only place around here, i thought it was expensive for something so small, but hey if that soudns right i might just go ahead and do it...but still seems expensive to me....i might just leave it like that, it dosnt really bother me
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM

You can always find automotive paint at the parts store (duplicolor is a good brand) but I don't think it will look very good unless it's blended in like the above post says.

John
Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
none.

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by loganberry
lol i live in the country, only place around here, i thought it was expensive for something so small, but hey if that soudns right i might just go ahead and do it...but still seems expensive to me....i might just leave it like that, it dosnt really bother me

ASE specified labor is about $80 an hour.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:40 AM
One-Fast-Indian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walmart has some supplies..auto paint colors in little tubes

Quick Reply: paint, where to get?