Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0455, P0457, Gas Cap Loose

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0455, P0457, Gas Cap Loose

I am sure this is a well worn subject and should be straight forward to find the problem but....

I have installed a new Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid, Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid and , of course, a new gas cap. I have tried to thoroughly go through all of the vacuum lines, especially the rubber ones looking for cracks, rips and tears but have not found any. All the connections I have inspected look fine.

The Vapor Canister was also thoroughly inspected and looked fine.

I do not have access to a diagnostic tool or a smoke machine so short of those two tests is there additional straight forward testing that can be done to better isolate where the problem may be? Is there anything besides the gas cap, two solenoids, gas tank, vapor canister and Vacuum Lines that can cause this problem?

I have been married 51 years and would rather find a new wife than chase a vacuum leak, but there you have it. Please help if you can.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Had the same problem with an older Ranger turned out it was a small leak in the in the filler hose it is a hose inside a hose and Ford is very proud of it =$.
welcome to the forum and good luck finding solution.

Last edited by bubbabud; 11-30-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I may be to the point where I have to start taking the system apart to find the problem.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Most likely not your problem, but these types of issues can relate to overfilling the gas tank; folks will continue to "push" every last tidbit of fuel into the gas tank when re-fueling. This is not good, as the overflow of fuel (when driving) will slosh back up the filler neck, and the fuel/fumes will cause the Vapor Canister to plug; it's internals are charcol.

Even though the canister may look alright, it may be plugged.

Good rule to follow: stop filling the gas tank after the first click off of the fuel hose at the pump.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-01-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Most likely not your problem, but these types of issues can relate to overfilling the gas tank; folks will continue to "push" every last tidbit of fuel into the gas tank when re-fueling. This is not good, as the overflow of fuel (when driving) will slosh back up the filler neck, and the fuel/fumes will cause the Vapor Canister to plug; it's internals are charcol.

Even though the canister may look alright, it may be plugged.

Good rule to follow: stop filling the gas tank after the first click off of the fuel hose at the pump.
Thanks for the reply. If there a way to check the flow rate through the canister?
Old 12-02-2015, 05:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

That, I do not know. I suspect that if a code points to it as being suspect, a dealer will change it (and charge the owner accordingly of course). How to check it? I don't know if it can be tested.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bucko
That, I do not know. I suspect that if a code points to it as being suspect, a dealer will change it (and charge the owner accordingly of course). How to check it? I don't know if it can be tested.
My codes have cleared. Nothing new on the truck but the gas cap but much of the system was pulled apart and put back together with no trouble found. I guess now I just wait and see if the codes come back. Thanks to those that have responded.

Quick Reply: P0455, P0457, Gas Cap Loose