Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0353 What to try first

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile P0353 What to try first

Truck Details:
  • 2006 4.2L
  • Standard (Stick Shift) Transmission
  • Reg Cab
  • 85,000 miles
  • Original Plugs (Reason in text)
  • No engine mods

Unusual conditions during the time of CEL was heavy rain and standing water on road (possible water splashing onto/into parts or sensors).

Yesterday the engine started being sluggish at low RPMs. If I shift a little early and the RPMs drop down near 2K the engine bogs and the truck shakes, at first I thought it was a tranny problem but after getting the code read at autozone it seems like it is a spark issue.

The code reads out as:

Definition:
  • Ignition coil primary circuit - coil number 3

Explanation:
  • Ignition coil 3 is monitored for errors

Probable Cause:
  • Ignition Coil Defective
  • Secondary Ignition-plugs,wires, cap, rotor
  • Poor electrical connection or circuit fault
  • Driver circuit fault-ignition module or PCM

I have not changed the plugs because I read horror stories on here about the plugs breaking off in the engine block. I could not narrow down weather my truck had these notorious plugs from the factory so I decided to put off changing them. If someone could also chime in and let me know about these plugs I would appreciate it.

I am wondering which order I should attack this list as it looks like it could get pretty costly.

Also, thanks in advance for any input you have!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

You don't have the infamous plug issue, that's pretty much exclusive to the 5.4, the 4.2 should be a cakewalk.

Don't know if you have the COP or the coil packs, my 4.2l had a coil pack, if a coil went defective you replaced the entire unit.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I will be changing the spark plugs with motorcraft plugs and the primary coil this weekend.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM

Just an FYI if you nickel and dime those coil packs if you end up replacing more than one it will cost you. I got a damn good price break buying all 8. Look down the road and make sure you won't want to do that soon
Old 08-17-2011, 10:52 AM

Are you saying the primary coil I have is only good for one cylinder?
Old 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

On the 4.2L you should have a coil pack with 6 terminals on it.

What the above poster is referring to are the COP units on the V-8s.

Two different animals.

Last edited by gone postal; 08-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Changing plugs in the 4.2 is easy. I have the 4.2 in my truck. Love this engine!

You can have the plugs out and replaced in about an hour; if it's your first time, take another 1/2 hour. The hardest will be the passenger side rear most plug, only because it's close to the firewall; you'll need a small extension and maybe a universal joint.

The coil pack is on the passenger side valve cover area. This coil pack has three molded in coils, and each coil fires two spark plugs at the same time. One spark plugs cylinder will be at compression, the other spark plugs cylinder is on exhaust, which is a wasted spark, but does no harm. I replaced mine a year ago because it had a crack at it's mounting location. I replaced it to prevent a potential failure. No telling how long the crack was there, but for $60.00 (price of the coil) I felt it was worth the replacement for piece of mind.

I replaced my spark plugs at 70K bcause I was bored one day and wanted to check the cylinders condition (spark plug tells you a lot on how a cylinder is firing).

6 spark plugs, 6 factory plug wires will set you back under $60.00, and if the coil is faulty, another $60.00 for that. I'd change the plugs and wires first.

All in all, your still waaaaaay under what those folks with the 5.4's pay for a plug change, assuming they have one of those early 5.4's.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 08-17-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM

Awesome info guys, printed and will do. I may go ahead and change plug wires as well. Thanks alot!
Old 08-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

I'm a huge advocate in not spending money or tossing parts at a problem to fix it. In this case however, I'd say 85K justifies a set of plug wires and spark plugs, especially since the 4.2 V6 is easy to do it on and does not have the issues the early 5.4 has (especially in cost).

Do one plug at a time; replace one spark plug and its associated spark plug wire. This way you don't confuse which plug wire from the coil pack goes to what cylinder, unless you buy a repair guide that will have pictures showing these assignments.

I've seen even experienced guys pull all the plug wires off at one time, only to mix up the plug wire assignments during reassembly.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 08-17-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:19 PM

Hey guys

New developments on the status of my engine. Today I changed the plugs and the coil pack. I started the truck up after the plug changed and noticed the engine skipping a lot more than it did before I touched it.

I used BOSCH plugs because they only had 3 motorcraft plugs. The bosch plugs had two sparking flasks. Because of this it was hard to gap the plugs so I installed them how they were. The gaps looked WAYYYYY smaller than the plugs that were coming out of the engine.

After installing the coil pack the engine did not change. I unhooked the battery as well to do a force reset.

Unfortunately this was all done at my dads house and I had no choice but to drive it 30 minutes home with a skipping cylinder.

While driving I head what sounded like "POPCORN" under my hood on the left side of the engine. It literlly sounded like the enging was making popcord under low RPM low load.

Any ideas before it goes to the shop?

Quick Reply: P0353 What to try first