Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0349 code, already did the preliminaries

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0349 code, already did the preliminaries

Hey everybody, new to the forum but I have been reading around a lot about the cam phaser/misfire problems that everyone seems to have.

I just bought a 2005 f150 a few months ago with 160k on it. A month after owning it, the truck started knocking real bad and threw several codes related to the cams/phasers/timing. Had a warranty on it so the dealer replaced the phasers, chains, guides, tensioners, vct solenoids, all that good stuff. Took them about two months to sorta rectify the problem.

Well now I have the truck back and it doesn't sound like a diesel anymore, nor does it knock all the time like it did before. The only problem I have now is when I put the truck into reverse and let the idle drop, sometimes it will knock like it doesn't have any oil in it until i bring the rpms up to about 1500, then it will go away. It is very intermittent almost like the vct is sticking in a weird position for a second, then it clears up. Or better yet, almost like you unplug a vacuum line, then plug it back in before the truck stalls completely.

Ran a scanner on it and it shows a pending P0349 Bank 2 camshaft intermittent code. I've read that there is a possibility of a generator being bad in the alternator, or pinched wire. A ford tech that I work with also mentioned the probability of the IAC being no good causing the rpms to drop below base idle making the truck act up. I wanted to see what other people have to say before I rule anything out and give the truck back to the dealer.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess nobody has any input? I realized that this truck doesn't have an IAC, but I cleaned the TB and unplugged the vct solenoids. The rattling has gone away so it points me in the direction of the solenoids being no good. Before I signed the paper work for the truck the dealer told me they replaced both of them. I'm starting to believe he lied to me and didn't replace them.

Is there anything else that I might be missing? And beginning to become uncomfortable with my purchase.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:54 PM
k_h
HMFIC

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dunno how to help.. but I've had the P0345 and P0349 codes when I changed out my driverside camphaser.. but my truck runs and idles fine. I've replaced alternator, solenoid, solenoid sensors, crankshaft sensor... I'm wondering if it maybe the Doorman camphaser that I used instead of OEM. I've read that the springs could be weak even on a new camphaser causing the cam to be off and throw a code..

Like I said before what throws me for a loop is the truck runs and idles fine.

Quick Reply: P0349 code, already did the preliminaries