Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P0345 code

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default P0345 code

How do I fix this code? I'm really getting irritated and I've had my truck sitting for almost 2 years now. I need to fix it already. Please someone help
Old 01-24-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

So what have you done to fix it? Any troubleshooting? Have you replaced the cam position sensor? Are there any other symptoms? If the truck has been sitting for almost 2 years now, there will probably be a few other things needed as well. Give us a little info on the truck, year, mileage, 2wd, 4wd, previous maintenance on the truck, stored inside or outside, etc...
Old 01-24-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by vintageman
So what have you done to fix it? Any troubleshooting? Have you replaced the cam position sensor? Are there any other symptoms? If the truck has been sitting for almost 2 years now, there will probably be a few other things needed as well. Give us a little info on the truck, year, mileage, 2wd, 4wd, previous maintenance on the truck, stored inside or outside, etc...
It's a 2wd 04 Ford F-150 5.4 3v about 90,000miles on it. I only drove it for a month. And it messed up. I'm still paying on it. It would turn on right away before I changed the timing chain. When I did the timing it turns on but takes awhile now. Do you think I timed it wrong? The cam position sensor were not changed.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Normally, I think you would get one of the P0011, 12, 21 or 22 errors, as those have to do with timing. How is the truck idling? The cam position sensor does not cost much and it only takes a few minutes to change out, I would disconnect the battery to clear the code and change the sensor out. If you changed the timing chain, it may have nicked the position sensor, if memory serves, I think the sensor goes through the front engine cover right near the chain.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by vintageman
Normally, I think you would get one of the P0011, 12, 21 or 22 errors, as those have to do with timing. How is the truck idling? The cam position sensor does not cost much and it only takes a few minutes to change out, I would disconnect the battery to clear the code and change the sensor out. If you changed the timing chain, it may have nicked the position sensor, if memory serves, I think the sensor goes through the front engine cover right near the chain.
The cam position have been changed now. Code is still on. The truck turns on sometimes but now it sounds like it might be locked up it doesn't turn on as fast as it should. When it is on it shakes a bit. And it does out. Sometimes.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently got the P0345 code on my truck after owning it for about 4 months...right after I replaced 2 ignition coils and both catalytic converters. The camshaft position sensors seem to be the usual fix, but a Ford mechanic told me that the VCT solenoids are probably the guilty party.

If all else fails try checking the timing between CMP1 and CMP2, if it's off you try going into the cam phaser and restarting it (CMP1 or 2 depending on which one is off) by one tooth. But that should be a last resort.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MattFrank
I just recently got the P0345 code on my truck after owning it for about 4 months...right after I replaced 2 ignition coils and both catalytic converters. The camshaft position sensors seem to be the usual fix, but a Ford mechanic told me that the VCT solenoids are probably the guilty party. If all else fails try checking the timing between CMP1 and CMP2, if it's off you try going into the cam phaser and restarting it (CMP1 or 2 depending on which one is off) by one tooth. But that should be a last resort.

I ended up replacing the whole motor.
Old 04-24-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cowboynatedog
I ended up replacing the whole motor.

That blows man, how much did it cost? If I can't get this thing fixed I might have to buy a new engine (because I sure as hell don't feel like opening up the cam phaser or paying a shop $2k+ for this BS) or sell it...which I'd be REALLY pissed about.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by MattFrank
That blows man, how much did it cost? If I can't get this thing fixed I might have to buy a new engine (because I sure as hell don't feel like opening up the cam phaser or paying a shop $2k+ for this BS) or sell it...which I'd be REALLY pissed about.

I ended up paying about 3700 of the engine brand new from autozone with a 3 year warranty and about 700 to install it but it was my friend who installed it for me. The engine come out to 4,200 but when you take the old motor in they give you 650 back.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by cowboynatedog
I ended up paying about 3700 of the engine brand new from autozone with a 3 year warranty and about 700 to install it but it was my friend who installed it for me. The engine come out to 4,200 but when you take the old motor in they give you 650 back.
Hell what's to keep the same thing from happening to the new motor?

Quick Reply: P0345 code