Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oxygen sensor problem

Old 07-08-2014, 05:15 PM

Received 87 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Oxygen sensor problem

My truck is throwing 2 codes. P0060 HO2S Heater Resistance (Bank 2, Sensor 2) and P2272 o2 Sensor Signal Stuck Lean - Bank 2 Sensor 2. From what I read this is the downstream drivers side sensor. I have read online and have found conflicting answers. Is the oxygen sensor possibly bad or is there something else causing the code to throw? My truck is an 04 4.6 with 65k miles on it. I was told by the PO that is was maintained regularly. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the P0060 - It's saying something is wrong with the heater circuit on your o2 sensor.

The good news is that the downstream sensors are for emissions only. The bad news is you'll keep that check engine light until you replace it.

MOST LIKELY it is the sensor. However, if you want to be sure, swap the drivers side and passenger side downstream sensors. If the problem switches to the opposite side, then you know it's the oxygen sensor heater circuit.

I do a lot of calibration for the heater tests that we perform where I work (Engineer over oxygen sensor production), so essentially your computer does a check to verify that the resistance of the heater circuit is correct. It could be as simple as corrosion in the connector, or the heater could be going bad.

The other part (P2272) is saying that the sensor isn't reading correctly. They don't function well unless they are at proper operating temperature. If the heater resistance is wrong (too high), the sensor won't reach temperature quickly enough and it will cause the computer to throw a code.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:17 PM

The P0060 came on first then a few days later P2272 followed. I was not overly concerned because of it being downstream. I may try to swap the sides around and see if this is the case. Thank you for the input, I had not thought about that
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had same 2 codes ......... P0060 and P2272.

I just had transmission work/rebuild done. The shop called and told me I needed an O2 sensor (driver downstream). I decided to wait and check myself.

I rode with check engine light on a day or 2. I purchased a device to read codes and found P0060 and P2272. I cleared codes a couple of times and both codes returned each time.

I crawled under Saturday AM with some electrical cleaner. I unplugged connector, sprayed.... left to dry. I figured cleaning, unplugging and re-plugging may solve problem. Then looking closer, I noticed the O2 sensor was mashed. It looked like someone had taken a hammer and hit it a couple of times.

That O2 sensor is immediately next to transmission ....... the shop had obviously damaged the sensor removing or re-installing the transmission.

I took it back to the shop to let them see that a 4 year old could find the problem with my O2 sensor. The shop replaced it.

Anyway.............. go buy and O2 sensor........... that's your problem.

(I mentioned to the shop that I can buy that Motorcraft O2 sensor on rock auto for about $36. This shop told me that they have tested some of those low cost Motorcraft parts and some of them do not appear to read as true as other Motorcraft purchased through Ford. They think there are possibly copies labeled as Motorcraft being sold by some online retailers. They have done bench tests on some and found them inferior. The suggestion is to buy Motorcraft through Motorcraft/Ford. Tasca Parts works for me.)
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Cool thanks for the heads up. I have never tackled an o2 sensor. Is it hard to find/get to?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:45 PM
F150 Forum

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraJeff27
For the P0060 - It's saying something is wrong with the heater circuit on your o2 sensor.

The good news is that the downstream sensors are for emissions only. The bad news is you'll keep that check engine light until you replace it.

MOST LIKELY it is the sensor. However, if you want to be sure, swap the drivers side and passenger side downstream sensors. If the problem switches to the opposite side, then you know it's the oxygen sensor heater circuit.

I do a lot of calibration for the heater tests that we perform where I work (Engineer over oxygen sensor production), so essentially your computer does a check to verify that the resistance of the heater circuit is correct. It could be as simple as corrosion in the connector, or the heater could be going bad.

The other part (P2272) is saying that the sensor isn't reading correctly. They don't function well unless they are at proper operating temperature. If the heater resistance is wrong (too high), the sensor won't reach temperature quickly enough and it will cause the computer to throw a code.
100% correct good info!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor problem