Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

overhead light assembly

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overhead light assembly

The map light on my 2004 F.150 quit working, I took it apart and discovered that the white plastic piece with all of the metal strip running through it had melted the drivers side bulb went in. I am trying to find a new one and none of the parts stores seem to have one and I've visited several junkyards and they seem to have all vehicles except newer f.150's (guess thats a good thing in a way). Was wondering if anyone knew where I could find one without going to the dealership. Also if it happens to be and upgrade kit that includes that piece I will consider that as well....Thanks
Old 09-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Check out fordparts.com and enter your VIN and look under interior lighting to see if they sale the whole assembly.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:26 PM

I did, they wanted $303.85 for the whole assembly, that's all they could get. I do not believe that this peice of plastic costs that much.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:05 AM

I know this is an old post but just had the same problem i fixed for $30 and wanted to put this out there for anyone searching like me and couldn't find a cheap fix. What happens is at some point someone installs the higher level bulb that fits but burns hotter whereby causing the fixture and plastic to melt and the bulb socket no longer fits the plastic to make contact with the metal circuit board. I went to autozone and got two of their license plate sockets that say for ford and gm vehicles and two led bulbs 194 that fit the socket. I unscrewed the circuit board from the fixture and I inserted the sockets from beneath and hot glued them into place. Then i clipped back the metal contacts back out of the way from where the original bulb sockets contacted to, soldered the wires to the metal contacts, hot glued over the solder for protection, hot glued and areas that may move and touch each other due to the damage to the plastic, and hot glued the wires down and out of the way. Then inserted the bulbs. Before rescrewing the board back to the fixture, plug it in to the pig tail to make sure the led bulbs are oriented right as led bulbs require proper positive neutral positioning so if not working at first take them out and turn them over. After they come on then screw the board to the fixture and reinstall. You can actually buy the sockets and bulbs cheaper online for about $10 but i was too anxious to wait. Now my lights are working for the first time in two years and will likely never melt again since they now have led bulbs. Ebay wanted $65 plus $16 shipping for a used board and I couldn't find a junk yard near by that had a new enough f150 that hadn't already been canabalized.

Quick Reply: overhead light assembly