Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Overdrive problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Overdrive problem

Hi Guys,
I was driving my truck today and all of a sudde I noticed that the overdrive went off by itself.

Usually I could feel a difference when pushing the OD button to Off. The car was breaking more with the engine break.

When I press the OD button now to off, the light in the dashboard shows up, but I dont feel any difference while driving. Now it feels like the engine break is "on" all the time. I also know that if I swith OD off, i hear misfire from the exhaust. With OD on, there is no misfire.

Please help.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Some guy

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Hmm... when did you last drop the pan and check for metal? Might not be a bad time to have a look see if you've never done it.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Martian
Hmm... when did you last drop the pan and check for metal? Might not be a bad time to have a look see if you've never done it.
I've never dropped the pan and checked for metal. I have the truck for a year now. And i have around 108k miles on it.

Do i need any replacement parts if i drop the pan and pour it back together or do i need any special tools? Seal? Etc
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Some guy

Just a replacement seal (you probably don't need to replace it, they don't exactly wear out... but they're cheap so why not) and a new filter since you'll be in there anyway. And of course the replacement fluid you'll lose since the pan will be full.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Some guy

You're going to find a mysterious yellow plug thing laying in the pan if nobody has ever dropped it before. Don't panic. That's normal.
The following users liked this post:
m1ke (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:55 PM

Just a replacement seal (you probably don't need to replace it, they don't exactly wear out... but they're cheap so why not) and a new filter since you'll be in there anyway. And of course the replacement fluid you'll lose since the pan will be full.
Can i get the seal at autozone etc?
Which filter and which fluid do i need?
Sorry for asking but that's the first time i do that.

Also, is this an emergency or can i drive like this for a little bit?
Old 08-01-2016, 02:59 PM

You're going to find a mysterious yellow plug thing laying in the pan if nobody has ever dropped it before. Don't panic. That's normal.
Thanks for letting me know. And what do I do with the yellow plug if I find it?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Some guy

Either chuck it or leave it in there. And yes, you should be able to get the seal and filter at a local store. I did. Emergency? I'd think so... you could have a servo or band that's going to sh**. Thankfully, it is not a hard job. Drop one end of the pan so it starts to drip, then pull the rest of the pan off and pour it into an oil container while looking for debris, examine the pan magnet (pictures couldn't hurt). Pull off the filter, make sure its seal comes off with it, put the new one on, new pan gasket and put the pan back on as long as everything looked okay. Then refill with I believe Mercon V, but check the manual to be sure.
The following users liked this post:
m1ke (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:58 PM

Ok, so once I take the pan of I check and see if I find anything unusual. Do I take anything else off except for the pan? Or just the pan for now?

I will go ahead and get this done today. I will let you know what I found.

Thanks for your help Martian!

Last edited by m1ke; 08-01-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Some guy

Originally Posted by m1ke
Ok, so once I take the pan of I check and see if I find anything unusual. Do I take anything else off except for the pan? Or just the pan for now?

I will go ahead and get this done today. I will let you know what I found.

Thanks for your help Martian!
No worries. Nope, just the pan and the filter just inside it. You'll know what the filter looks like because it'll look exactly like your new one, except covered in black crap. It just pulls down and off. Not threaded. The friction from its seal, and then the suction created by the transmission, hold it on.

Last edited by Martian; 08-01-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Overdrive problem