Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Output Shaft Bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Output Shaft Bearing?

My 2008 F-150 Supercrew with 120,000 miles has a whine much like the one shown in this YouTube video
... The whine occurs in all gears during acceleration only, but fades in and out sporadically.

To fix this I figured that I would remove the driveshaft and the tail shaft housing, replace a bearing, and be done. After removing the tail shaft housing I discovered that rear-most bearing for the output shaft appears to be pressed into the back of the transfer case.

Is this bearing removable without tearing apart the back of the transfer case? If not, can the transfer case be removed without dropping the transmission? Is it a really bad idea to crack the transfer case open?

Thanks in advance for any Advice...I'll post pictures tomorrow if needed.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:56 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

To me it sounds like gear noise not bearing noise. Bearing noise should be there the whole time it's spinning.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Did you ever find the solution to this problem because my 2005 FX4 is making the same noise. The noise is driving me crazy. I have a limited time left on my warranty and would like to get it fixed asap. THANKS!
Old 08-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Default Get it fixed!

It was the last bearing, all the way in the back of the transmission. This means the whole trans comes apart in order to fix it. If the bearing breaks apart, you will likely need a new trans. Hope this helps...force them to fix it while its under warranty and don't take no for an answer.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Just had mine replaced at the dealership under warranty. I know that wine very well. If you want to eliminate gear whine drive it in second, that eliminates the planetary gears. If the whine is still there, it is the output shaft bearing, gl .

Quick Reply: Output Shaft Bearing?