Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Ordered an Edge Evo - What do I need to know?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:23 AM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ordered an Edge Evo - What do I need to know?

I just bought an Edge Evo that has been tuned by Gryphon. I am wondering if anyone has any helpful tips/tricks/experience with any common issues?

All of these questions are based on the knowledge that I have fully read the manual and instructions. I have educated myself in full on the literature from Edge and Gryphon, but want to know as much as possible before install.

• What should I know or understand prior to installing the tuner?
  • What risks are involved with a high mileage vehicle?
  • Should I perform any maintenance prior to using it?
  • Do I need to run a higher grade fuel?
  • How do CANNED tunes differ from Evo's stock tunes?
I know these may be simple questions, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I hope this will also help anyone who is thinking about getting one. Get some answers so you know what you're getting into before you break something.
Vehicle info for reference:
170,000 miles
New plugs and COP's <12mo ago.
Well maintained - no mech issues known.
*More info if needed*

Last edited by SallyTwoDiqs; 01-21-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

plug and play...
Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
5.4L Powerstroke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that it's plug and play. As I said, I have read the instructions. I am looking for potential issues others have encountered, tips others have found with experience, or anything helpful that someone who is thinking about getting it or has just got it should know to take caution to once they get it.

Even better... What have you all done (as far as custom tunes, set up's etc...) that may benefit those who have no experience? What worked for you?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

I have an edge evo and the stock tunes are the same thing as "canned tunes." I have heard of people wearing out there tranny and believe the Evo to be the cause, but personally I just think it's the multiple 5k+ rpm shifts which are no doubt fun but obviously that will run out your tranny faster, chip or no chip. Since you have custom tunes you don't need to use a higher grade fuel unless that is what you asked for with your custom.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you probably get more out of the canned tunes on gryphon, but I would say the major difference is your tunes are set where evos can be customized at any time. I guess only customized to certain features.

I would make sure you know all the details of the tunes installed on gryphon. I'm not sure if you can customize but tire size is an item that comes into play on the evo. I'm not sure if canned tunes can be customized to tire size on the user side.

You can always use higher octane fuel, but unless the tune specifies directly that its for high octane fuel specifically then you don't really have to worry about that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ordered an Edge Evo - What do I need to know?