Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

opt7 HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 78 Likes on 77 Posts
Default opt7 HID headlights

Has anyone ever used the opt7 HID blitz kit off of ebay? Or a DC kit period if so how did it work out I have an opt7 kit for my Spyder projectors just nervous about putting it in. And should I put a relay harness in or just hook up the ballasts? I am planning to get DDM hids soon for the heads and the winjet projector fogs I just got. Any suggestions on what I should do I don't want my bulbs going out on me somewhere dark.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sure have been running them for about a year now. Held up Great! I have been warned all over these forums to stay away from the "cheap" ebay kits but I think all those people are just mad that they payed too much for there expensive kits they swear by haha. No issues no burnt out bulbs, ballasts nothing. The only complaint I had was it made all my other lights on my truck look dim and yellow.... So I had to upgrade my fogs to LED's my turn signals to the dual color white/amber LED the markers and all my OFF road lights to 6000k HID's to match.... now i can see into the next state at night time!

Quick note though I did get the anti flicker kit after about 3 months. because I got sick of manually turning on my headlights and wanted to use the Auto headlights that turn on if it gets dark that our trucks have. It worked without the kit but like every once in a while when my battery was lower or my truck sat for a week and i went to start it one of them would shut off when i started my truck (this was with the Auto feature enabled). If you notice when in auto when you unlock your truck your perimeter lights turn on as well as the heads. You can turn that off with right procedure and there is a nice write up on this forum with some good instructions on how. I ended up doing that but got sick of not being able to see at night when i was getting in to my truck with that feature turned off. So i bought the 5 dollar kit they sell and works like a charm. Oh FYI only order 1! I got 2 thinking you need one for each side... not the case. But now i have a spare fuse, wire, and relay, in my glove box "just in case"
Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Oh this is the anti-flicker kit i got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-HID-Anti-Flicker-Power-Harness-Relay-Wiring-for-OPT7-Xenon-Kits-/141189612993?hash=item20df8e85c1This is the actually HID kit i got
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-55w-HID-KIT-Xenon-9008-Hi-Lo-6000K-Blue-Beam-Headlight-Conversion-Light-/140929217199?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d00932af
Oh I would suggest the Bi-Xeon kit... It just has a Halogen bulb for your Highs which kinda sucks... (Its adequate/ok for brights but for my application it just doesn't cut it) I modified it so it turns on some Driving lights in my grill for my brights instead of the ones that come with the kit... not impressed.... but maybe since i got the 55w kit it just makes all other lights look dim...
Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's the set up I'm running. I bought mine on Amazon straight from Opt7 for like $40? The shop I had install them did a horrible job mounting the ballast so they rattled around and went bad after 2-3 months but they have a 2 year warranty so I just emailed Opt7 and they sent me a new kit no questions asked. They've been in for almost 18 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever. For $40..... You can't beat that IMO
Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyB1232
That's the set up I'm running. I bought mine on Amazon straight from Opt7 for like $40? The shop I had install them did a horrible job mounting the ballast so they rattled around and went bad after 2-3 months but they have a 2 year warranty so I just emailed Opt7 and they sent me a new kit no questions asked. They've been in for almost 18 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever. For $40..... You can't beat that IMO
Do you have a pic of how your ballasts are mounted? I got the 6k 35W kit
Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trent W
Oh this is the anti-flicker kit i got
Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-HID-Anti-Flicker-Power-Harness-Relay-Wiring-for-OPT7-Xenon-Kits-/141189612993?hash=item20df8e85c1
This is the actually HID kit i got
Video Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPT7-AC-55w-HID-KIT-Xenon-9008-Hi-Lo-6000K-Blue-Beam-Headlight-Conversion-Light-/140929217199?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item20d00932af

Oh I would suggest the Bi-Xeon kit... It just has a Halogen bulb for your Highs which kinda sucks... (Its adequate/ok for brights but for my application it just doesn't cut it) I modified it so it turns on some Driving lights in my grill for my brights instead of the ones that come with the kit... not impressed.... but maybe since i got the 55w kit it just makes all other lights look dim...
Did you have any flickering before installing the kit? I have the relay harness just not sure how it gets hooked up. I'm dumb to electrical lol
Old 02-04-2015, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
Did you have any flickering before installing the kit? I have the relay harness just not sure how it gets hooked up. I'm dumb to electrical lol
Its pretty straight forward no cutting or anything they should have gave you instructions with pics. Same with the Relay harness. I can take some pics of them installed on my truck and how i mounted them if you want. I used the metal plate they gave me to install them and bolted them down with the bolt you see behind your headlight housing on the radiator support. If your doing this yourself its really easy just take your headlights off 3 bolts per headlight. If your installing the relay kit pull off your cover that runs across your radiator and then you can hide all the wires and zip tie them to the radiator support bar and it makes it look like its factory and you wont have wires all over the place. Its seriously cake to install and will take under an hour even if you don't have any electrical background. The instructions are very detailed. Let me know if you want pics! Oh and as for flickering, like i said in my earlier post I only had a flicker every once in a while during starting of my truck if my truck sat for a while or my battery was low. That's with the Auto headlamps turned on happened maybe 4 times tops. (so if the heads were already on while i was starting the truck) with the relay kit it doesn't flicker at all. Use them everyday no issues for about a year. And i didnt know they have a 2 year warrenty either thanks JimmyB1232! nice to know these ares still covered.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:55 PM

Its pretty straight forward no cutting or anything they should have gave you instructions with pics. Same with the Relay harness. I can take some pics of them installed on my truck and how i mounted them if you want. I used the metal plate they gave me to install them and bolted them down with the bolt you see behind your headlight housing on the radiator support. If your doing this yourself its really easy just take your headlights off 3 bolts per headlight. If your installing the relay kit pull off your cover that runs across your radiator and then you can hide all the wires and zip tie them to the radiator support bar and it makes it look like its factory and you wont have wires all over the place. Its seriously cake to install and will take under an hour even if you don't have any electrical background. The instructions are very detailed. Let me know if you want pics! Oh and as for flickering, like i said in my earlier post I only had a flicker every once in a while during starting of my truck if my truck sat for a while or my battery was low. That's with the Auto headlamps turned on happened maybe 4 times tops. (so if the heads were already on while i was starting the truck) with the relay kit it doesn't flicker at all. Use them everyday no issues for about a year. And i didnt know they have a 2 year warrenty either thanks JimmyB1232! nice to know these ares still covered.
Yea pics would be great thanks. I don't have stock headlights anymore but should be the same concept I would think. Part of my issue was the instructions I got weren't detailed (dumbed) down enough for me lol. I'd really like to get them out of the closet and use them the lights I have now are bright but not bright enough
Old 02-04-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 08silverbullet
Yea pics would be great thanks. I don't have stock headlights anymore but should be the same concept I would think. Part of my issue was the instructions I got weren't detailed (dumbed) down enough for me lol. I'd really like to get them out of the closet and use them the lights I have now are bright but not bright enough
Ya hold on i'll go out and pull my headlights off and show you what i did. It'll take me a sec to do that and post the pics. I'll write down some 1,2,3 steps on how to install and with pictures of how it should look on my truck you should have no problem doing it yourself. give me a few hours or maybe later tonight... got work at 1600hrs today

Last edited by Trent W; 02-04-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:32 PM

Ya hold on i'll go out and pull my headlights off and show you what i did. It'll take me a sec to do that and post the pics. I'll write down some 1,2,3 steps on how to install and with pictures of how it should look on my truck you should have no problem doing it yourself. give me a few hours or maybe later tonight... got work at 1600hrs today
Thanks man I appreciate it. I probably won't get a chance to put them in until this weekend anyway.

Quick Reply: opt7 HID headlights