Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

opinions on cam phaser issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:21 PM
reid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default opinions on cam phaser issues

I recently bought a 2005 f 150 fx4 for $3600. it has the diesel noise and some chain slap. the truck has 185000 miles on it. I have the timing chain covers off but everything looks good except for the passenger side chain tensioner which is causing a lot of slack in the chain. I don't want to dump a bunch of money into a truck with a hundred eighty five thousand miles. the camshaft lobes show a pretty heavy wear pattern. I'm thinking about replacing the tensioners with the iron tensioners from the 1999 model and installing the phaser lockouts and then put it back together. I wouldn't be buying chains or guides. and being that there are so many miles on the truck I'm guessing that stuff has all been replaced at some point anyway. is there any way to tell if I have a stock chain, guides, and phasers?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

If there are colored links on the chains, they have been replaced. Other than that, I don't know of a way to tell.
In my opinion, change it all out. If you lock out the phasers, you still have to buy new ones that are in good shape. Then you have to pay for either the tune from Livernois, or a separate tuner (like an SCT or Gryphon) and a custom tune. If you are looking to save money, locking the phasers on a truck with that mileage is not the way to go.
If the chains are loose and slapping, you may be able to get away with keeping the chains, but you need to replace the guides. They have already been weakened. However, do you really want to risk not replacing the chains while you're in there? They aren't expensive.
You can get a packaged kit with chains, guides, tensioners, phasers, etc from ebay and Amazon, and have it all done for around $700. The VCT solenoids can be bought off ebay for about $100 for the pair including the seals.
The big question though, is how bad is the camshaft? If it's in bad shape, fixing the timing will be pointless.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:41 AM
Some guy

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Don't forget the lash adjusters and roller rockers, which, too, can be bought en masse from an OEM parts dealer on eBay. The camshaft is probably fine because that steel is super hard. But post (GOOD and LOTS OF) pictures of them if you're not sure.

Since you're in there, just change it all out. Hell, even do the water pump while you've got it off. I even did my oil pump because I was there. If you do need to replace the camshaft, they run between $105-$150 each, stock, which isn't terrible and will last you for... well, ever, with the right parts and maintenance done now.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:34 AM
reid

Originally Posted by lewissa81
If there are colored links on the chains, they have been replaced. Other than that, I don't know of a way to tell.
In my opinion, change it all out. If you lock out the phasers, you still have to buy new ones that are in good shape. Then you have to pay for either the tune from Livernois, or a separate tuner (like an SCT or Gryphon) and a custom tune. If you are looking to save money, locking the phasers on a truck with that mileage is not the way to go.
If the chains are loose and slapping, you may be able to get away with keeping the chains, but you need to replace the guides. They have already been weakened. However, do you really want to risk not replacing the chains while you're in there? They aren't expensive.
You can get a packaged kit with chains, guides, tensioners, phasers, etc from ebay and Amazon, and have it all done for around $700. The VCT solenoids can be bought off ebay for about $100 for the pair including the seals.
The big question though, is how bad is the camshaft? If it's in bad shape, fixing the timing will be pointless.
There are colored links on the chain. Livernois said i can reuse the phasers. I don't mind spending the money on the lockout because i can transfer it to my next motor if i decide to buy a used motor down the road. Will new vct solenoids be necessary with locked phasers?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:38 AM
reid

Originally Posted by LaMartian
Don't forget the lash adjusters and roller rockers, which, too, can be bought en masse from an OEM parts dealer on eBay. The camshaft is probably fine because that steel is super hard. But post (GOOD and LOTS OF) pictures of them if you're not sure.

Since you're in there, just change it all out. Hell, even do the water pump while you've got it off. I even did my oil pump because I was there. If you do need to replace the camshaft, they run between $105-$150 each, stock, which isn't terrible and will last you for... well, ever, with the right parts and maintenance done now.
Did you have improved oil pressure? According to my dummy gauge my pressure was good. Needle always past the middle line.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:40 AM
reid

Only engine code i had was bank 1 over retarded. Which is the side with the loose chain.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Reid Krabill
There are colored links on the chain. Livernois said i can reuse the phasers. I don't mind spending the money on the lockout because i can transfer it to my next motor if i decide to buy a used motor down the road. Will new vct solenoids be necessary with locked phasers?
I guess I could be wrong about needing new phasers with the lockout.
You don't need new VCT solenoids with the lockout, but you need to at least take out the old ones and inspect. They have little screens that can get clogged or come loose and get stuck in the solenoids restricting oil flow.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I would avoid the lockouts but that's just me. The variable timing is usually not this issue as much as is the guides and tensioners.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM
reid

Originally Posted by lewissa81
I guess I could be wrong about needing new phasers with the lockout.
You don't need new VCT solenoids with the lockout, but you need to at least take out the old ones and inspect. They have little screens that can get clogged or come loose and get stuck in the solenoids restricting oil flow.
I will go ahead and buy the guides. A friend of mine us strongly encouraging me to put a new oil pump on...is that really necessary? My dummy gauge always indicated good pressure. I think oil pressure issues were mainly due to failing timing chain tensioners causing internal leaks...?? Also heard that 07s had trouble with crankshaft thrust bearings and shims causing low oil pressure. If i can avoid pulling the gears and chains that would be great.... Remember 185000 miles.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Some guy

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by Reid Krabill
Did you have improved oil pressure? According to my dummy gauge my pressure was good. Needle always past the middle line.
I can't answer that because I didn't take before and after readings. I changed out all my gear because I heard the famous noises and just wanted it done before it became problematic.

Quick Reply: opinions on cam phaser issues