Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure gauge

Just curious, is this where your oil pressure needle is, or am I getting to much pressure?

Name:  oilpressure.jpg
Views: 8991
Size:  42.8 KB
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats where my needle is even after driving to chicago from houston in the summer w/ AC blowing (16 hr trip straight truckin!)
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's where mine is when running.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM

That's good to hear. I thought since all the other gauges sit at the half way mark, I may have problems.

Cheers
Old 02-19-2010, 04:56 PM

Mine too...bang on same spot, hwy speed or idling.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

mine to, no matter if im at idle or flooring it...i dont think its to accurate
Old 02-07-2011, 01:22 AM

the thing about that gauge is that its only there to make you feel better. id doesn't accurately tell you anything about your oil pressure. its attached to a pressure switch, as opposed to a sending unit. so if your oil pressure is over 4.5 psi, it will read a little over half. they stopped being real gauges in the 90s.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Well the indicator needle on my gauge had always sat right in the middle of the normal range and I thought nothing of it. Last May or June I was about 40 miles from home and the indicator started bouncing, staying at the "sweet spot' when I was driving but bouncing downward mostly within the normal range when I was at a stop light (automatic transmission). It occasionally swooped down to low but then would bounce back up into the normal range. If I put the truck in neutral or park, the needle sits at the sweet spot. I stopped the truck in a parking lot, went into a store to pick up a few items, returned to the truck, it started right up but when I was almost home, the needle started bouncing again. I had the switch replaced in June or July with no improvement so I had the oil pump replaced. The garage I use is very reputable and they said they had tested the engine after the replacement and it tested fine. I think I had that done about August or September. I have been driving it all this while and it drives fine. Anyway the needle still bounces. Should I start saving my money for a new engine or just drive this one until I am stranded somewhere then buy a new truck, or stop worrying? Has 98,000 miles on it. The mechanic said the oil pump was not sludgy when they removed it. I have done all the regualr maintenance.

Last edited by Amazonia; 02-11-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: to add something
Old 02-12-2011, 02:18 AM

I had a similar issue. Because it's a switch attached to a gauge designed to top out when it gets 12volts, they put a resistor on the circuit to step down the voltage. When that resistor goes out, it will either let too much or too little current to the gauge, and it will do so erratically. Thus the needle jump. If it stays topped out, it can het stuck.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Default Gauge and True Oil Pressure

Originally Posted by shrekusaf
I had a similar issue. Because it's a switch attached to a gauge designed to top out when it gets 12volts, they put a resistor on the circuit to step down the voltage. When that resistor goes out, it will either let too much or too little current to the gauge, and it will do so erratically. Thus the needle jump. If it stays topped out, it can het stuck.
Thanks for the information.

If they replaced the switch would they have replaced the resistor too? I had the switch replaced.

Once you had the resistor replaced did your needle bounce stop?

Last edited by Amazonia; 02-15-2011 at 11:45 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge