Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

What's up guys, I have a mystery oil leak that I can't track down. First let me say that I have replaced the oil pan gasket and timing cover gaskets. The oil is covering the bottom side of the ac clutch and running down the electrical wires that parallel the oil pan making it seem like it could be the oil pan gasket. The leak is not dripping in the driveway or enough to notice on the dipstick. It's slow enough to spray and make a mess under the truck. I also recently noticed I have a small power steering leak around my pulley. I just can't see how ps fluid could spray from one side of the truck to the other. And one last thing I noticed is that the oil that is leaking is
really light almost watered down.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you're leaking that much light colored oil, one of the reservoirs that hold oil has to be going down. I use a piece of tape to mark a containers fluid level on a weekend; then I drive for the week, and check the level to see if it dropped slightly during that time frame, giving me a good indication of whats leaking. Light colored oil would be the power steering fluid, and it can certainly spray all over, as the power steering pump puts it under good pressure.

Brake fluid is another, but doubtful in this case. May also be the A/C clutch as well. An A/C shop can inject dye into the system to detect if its leaking; you can also buy dyes at your local automotive parts store that can be added (one system at a time) to determine what is leaking. If you suspect the power steering pump, then put this dye into its reservoir, run the vehicle for a few days, then check the leaky areas for this dye. At this point you have identified what is leaking, and now can examine that system more carefully for its source of the leak.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to replace your power steering pump before it goes out completely. If you don't check the fluid level daily and/or the leak get worst. The pump will burn up and could send metal bits into the steering rack.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did notice a drop of power steering fluid on the reservoir but I thought it actually holds atf fluid which I thought was red. This is like a light colored. Where would the ac clutch leak oil?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:29 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Around the clutch itself (the A/C clutch os the part that the belt spins).

Quick Reply: Oil leak