Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil filter adaptor leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 51 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Oil filter adaptor leak

I'm not sure if I even have the right name for the part i'm asking about. It's between the oil filter and the motor. I have a small oil leak that seems to be coming from this part on the motor side. It's just a couple drips a day but I'd like to button it up.

2004 5.4 scab.

Does anyone know the name of this part? Is there a simple gasket I can replace and put it back together? I assume I'll have to drain the oil first, then refill when finished.

Thanks in advance for any help with this!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:52 PM

Bump. Anyone know what this part is named?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
Bump. Anyone know what this part is named?
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but are you talking about the rubber gasket that comes with all new oil filters. Try tightening up the filter first by hand and see if it even moves which it should'nt but if it does tighten it up, clockwise of course. No you should'nt have to drain all the oil unless you're do, just what comes out of the filter if you need to replace that and yes, its a messy job. You'll need a filter strap tool to get it started if you're changing it. Make sure when changing any oil filter that the old gasket comes off with the old one before you install the new. Many yrs ago I made this mistake and ended up dumping 5 qts over the next quarter mile and did'nt know until the engine started pinging and groaning. good luck
Old 09-15-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Here's a youtube on taking the adapter off. Looks like there's more work to get it off then you'd think. But there is a gasket that should fix it.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

I replaced mine last year. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't fun either. You'll need to drain the coolant because there are coolant lines running through it. You'll need socket extensions and u-joints. Most importantly though, you'll need patience. If you have 4wd, go ahead and drop the skid plate. I replaced mine while replacing my water pump, so having the fan shroud out of the way helped for one or two of the bolts, but it's not necessary.
I didn't watch the video Rick posted, so I apologize if I just repeated some of the info.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tommy J
Not trying to be a jerk or anything but are you talking about the rubber gasket that comes with all new oil filters. Try tightening up the filter first by hand and see if it even moves which it should'nt but if it does tighten it up, clockwise of course. No you should'nt have to drain all the oil unless you're do, just what comes out of the filter if you need to replace that and yes, its a messy job. You'll need a filter strap tool to get it started if you're changing it. Make sure when changing any oil filter that the old gasket comes off with the old one before you install the new. Many yrs ago I made this mistake and ended up dumping 5 qts over the next quarter mile and did'nt know until the engine started pinging and groaning. good luck
Thank you for the info but my issue is coming from the other side, by the motor, not the filter.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
Here's a youtube on taking the adapter off. Looks like there's more work to get it off then you'd think. But there is a gasket that should fix it.

Thank you so much! And thank god I don't have a 4x4. It'll be a little easier. The gasket side is where I have a leak. I'll have to look around to see if I can buy just the gasket.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
I replaced mine last year. It wasn't terrible, but wasn't fun either. You'll need to drain the coolant because there are coolant lines running through it. You'll need socket extensions and u-joints. Most importantly though, you'll need patience. If you have 4wd, go ahead and drop the skid plate. I replaced mine while replacing my water pump, so having the fan shroud out of the way helped for one or two of the bolts, but it's not necessary.
I didn't watch the video Rick posted, so I apologize if I just repeated some of the info.
Actually your experience might help a lot. Did you replace the whole assembly or just the gasket? You wouldn't happen to have written down or remember any part numbers would you?
My experience is limited to suspension, brakes, filters, alternators and I did the spark plug change myself(broke #5, lisle got her out).
After watching the video it seems pretty easy, conceptually speaking.
On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst **** of all time, I would rate the spark plug I broke and the whole change around a 3. Where would you rate this job?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

Probably a 4, maybe 4.5. Since you have a 2wd, jack up the truck and take that wheel off. You may have better access if you remove the inner fender well. Don't be scared, it's really not difficult, just a pain to get to the bolts.
I just replaced the gasket. Felpro part # 70801.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny_tucson
Thank you for the info but my issue is coming from the other side, by the motor, not the filter.
Im sorry, when you said between the filter and motor I was thinking theres no way hes talking about the rubber filter gasket but then again. I see other guys have answered you more correctly and it does'nt sound fun. Yet another messy job ahead of you. Good luck

Quick Reply: Oil filter adaptor leak