Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oil Change gone to hell.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

First oil change on this truck. They pull the dipstick and it was dry. I never checked it from the previous owner. Then they pull the oil plug and find all sorts of condensation gunk. So they have to drain it and then run a cleaner in the engine. Diff oil was jet black. So changing that too. Fuel filter is so rusted they won't even change it. And it needs a new air filter. Putting Mobil 1 full synthetic in it. Then they tell me that the trans fluid is low, but they threw that in for free after everything else. All 220 dollars later. They also found the exhaust rattle, (loose heat shield) and said if I go get a big hose clamp that they'd put it on for me for free. So no more rattle now as I went out and got the clamp for them. Pretty cool oil change place in the end. So my question in the end is what would be a cause for low oil besides under filling it last oil change? Aside from burning oil which I'm pretty sure it doesn't do. Any residual effects I should be worried about? They said no metal flakes in drained oil so it didn't get quite that low but any input is appreciated. -Ben
Old 02-08-2016, 08:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you see any of this yourself, or are you going strictly off of what this shop said?
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM

Received 143 Likes on 109 Posts

You said "I never checked it from the previous owner." So you mean to say that when you went to buy the truck you didn't look at the oil and other fluids..?

The first thing that most people want to do when they get a new vehicle is mod it and make it "theres" That should be the second thing to do. First is maintenance. Get it running good, replace all filters and fluids. As most of the time you are buying from someone you don't know and you do not know the maintenance history on it.

But anyway, it could be leaking oil. Do you notice that it drips any after it sits for a little?
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

Originally Posted by connorfx4
You said "I never checked it from the previous owner." So you mean to say that when you went to buy the truck you didn't look at the oil and other fluids..?

The first thing that most people want to do when they get a new vehicle is mod it and make it "theres" That should be the second thing to do. First is maintenance. Get it running good, replace all filters and fluids. As most of the time you are buying from someone you don't know and you do not know the maintenance history on it.

But anyway, it could be leaking oil. Do you notice that it drips any after it sits for a little?
I couldnt agree more. Sounds like a cool oil change place or wherever you took it.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by 04BenFX4
First oil change on this truck. They pull the dipstick and it was dry. I never checked it from the previous owner. Then they pull the oil plug and find all sorts of condensation gunk. So they have to drain it and then run a cleaner in the engine. Diff oil was jet black. So changing that too. Fuel filter is so rusted they won't even change it. And it needs a new air filter. Putting Mobil 1 full synthetic in it. Then they tell me that the trans fluid is low, but they threw that in for free after everything else. All 220 dollars later. They also found the exhaust rattle, (loose heat shield) and said if I go get a big hose clamp that they'd put it on for me for free. So no more rattle now as I went out and got the clamp for them. Pretty cool oil change place in the end. So my question in the end is what would be a cause for low oil besides under filling it last oil change? Aside from burning oil which I'm pretty sure it doesn't do. Any residual effects I should be worried about? They said no metal flakes in drained oil so it didn't get quite that low but any input is appreciated. -Ben
Wow
Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First thing you do, even if you buy it from a dealer and supposedly they did a oil change is, change the oil! And check every other fluid, actually check every easily accessible fluid before you buy. or take it to a lube place to get checked before you buy it.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I do is change all the fluids on every used truck I buy. That way I know its done and done right. Even if you can't do it yourself, get it done somewhere. Fluid changes are cheap compared to the alternative.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:18 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,580 Likes on 6,196 Posts

I think he gets the message......
Old 02-08-2016, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Summers22
I think he gets the message......
Haha. Never seen that one before. Enjoy the truck.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

And yes, these engines will "use" some oil between oil changes.

Learn to check your oil at least once a week.

Quick Reply: Oil Change gone to hell.