Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Off the wall exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Truckin'Boatin'Bikin' Nut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Off the wall exhaust question

I installed the Saleen rear exit SI/DO exhaust. I do like the sound, but what I would like to do, is quiet it a bit at highway speeds. My question is, has anyone put exhaust tips on and noticed any difference in the exhaust note. My thinking is that since the turn down is before the end of the bumper, that maybe some of the sound is being bounced under the truck and back into the cab. Of course the sweet spot in the engine is 2 grand, and that is where I drive 90 percent of the time. I was even contemplating resonated tips, to see if that would knock out some of the boominess (is that a word?).
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i imagine if you extend the tips out the back or side it should quiet down in the cab. I know it worked on my old blazer. wasnt a huge difference but it helped quite a bit.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cut off the turn downs and get that pipe straight even w your bumper or go through your bumper cut a hole just big enough for the pipe thatd look pretty cool
i think itd be more quiet for sure
Old 03-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default saleen exhaust

I just did that exact thing last night. I installed the kit, and ordered some 2 1/2 in 3 1/2 out stainless rolled tips. I think is sounds great. Not sure if it's going to really make that big of a diff..... I remember back in the day the old fox body gt's were louder cause the exhaust was bouning right off the ground. The truck sits a bit higher. I will sat While I was doing my exhaust I left the pipes after the exle off for a few days, and that was LOUS while driving everywhere cause it was shooting stright down and was holding the sound under the bed. I'll post a sound clip on here soon with the exhaust and the tips.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 AM

HI FOMOCO466, the tonneau is still looking great! Anyway I was going to ask how much you had to screw with the tailpipes, they were a bear with my truck. I wound up extending the right hand side hanger and inch and making more clearance at the shackles so they would not rattle. Funny thing was the left side with all the added bends fit like a glove, go figure. I'm still shopping for 2.5 in, 3.5 out tips. with the added clearance they should fit without a problem. It seems like it will be a bit tight with the hitch too. I found some nice SLP 18 inchers with a the double wall on the Summit sight, but I do want to convert them to clamp on's. I do not want to weld on the alumacoat and have it rust at the weld, just trying to find the nice strap type of clamp, don't want to use the usual rod style muffler clamp. T^he sound is very cool, just a bit boomy at 75 mph.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Default exhaust

ok, I installed the system using @ 10 inches of the factory exteder pipe. everything fit nice till I added the rear pipes, the hangers pull the pipes too close to the body, the driver side rattled on a bed brace, we heated up the hanger on the pipe and pulled it down till we got clerance, the pass hanger on the pipe stuck out too far, so we cut if off and welded on a flat washer to keep the rubber from sliding off. (also heated and bent that hangar as well..... here's pic
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=54874663

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=54874914
Attached Images  

Last edited by FOMOCO466; 03-29-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha someones missin a shirt!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Default saleen exhaust

darn that good paint job!! That's what happens when it's near 70 and you hate clothes, lol

p.s why are you looking there.... the tips are down lower!!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:19 AM

Hmmm. sounds oftly familiar. How is the volume of sound while cruising? Seems everything does it's thing at 2 grand, the speed I drive, points of shifting. I'm getting used to it a bit, and the girlfriend has not said anything (complained) YET! It does seem to be a bit more responsive though. Right now I am listening for it, I'm sure as I drive it more it'll grow on me. Maybe it is my old age setting in. My old V8 CJ7 with side exhaust off the headers never bothered me, but I was in my early 30's
Old 03-30-2009, 12:23 AM

Default toss up

I think it's about even with my CAI... till you get on it, then I hear the CAI and everyone hears the pipes

Quick Reply: Off the wall exhaust question