Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Oem navigation in 05

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oem navigation in 05

I know this has been covered but I can never find anything when I search. That being said if someone could post a like to a thread that already exist that would be great. I have an 05 with audiophile system and I am wanting to swap head unit with navigation unit from an 07 or 08. I have read it has to be programmed. Who does his and how much does it cost. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I've done this swap to an '05 STX, and to my current '07 STX. You will need:

1) GPS antenna with the "special" pink connector (about 35 bucks off of Ebay that a guy sells), or a Ford GPS antenna, I purchased a Factory part for an F-250 (same as the F150; PM me if you want this part number to order off of Ebay); it mounts under the center dash's black cover above the radio.

2) An antenna adaptor (about 12 to 15 bucks) to adapt the early style (04 to 05) antennas to the later 06 and up antennas. This adapter can be purchased from a stereo installation shop, Ebay, Crutchfields, or Amazon.

3) Navigation disc. You may get lucky with the Nav unit you purchase; it might have a navigation disc inside it. Many forget to remove the disc when they sell them, or perhaps intentionaly sell them with it. There are many disc updates available (I think the latest NAV disc is at 13P). They basically are map updates (new up to date roads). They vary in price, but are available on Ebay.

These units are the same as the older Pioneer Avic D2 systems that were sold; the difference was that the Ford units would not play DVD movies on the screen, whereas the Pioneer units did (maybe this is what can be "programmed"). Ford chose (for saftey I'm assuming) to play the DVD movies on an overhead monitor located on the roof console, hense the reason the Ford OEM NAV units contain a third plug-in harness recepticle (not needed for your application). These units will have three wire harness plug recepticles; one is the main harness (power, ground, speakers, steering wheel controls if equipped), a second for your audiophile, and the third for the optional overhead console DVD player. You only need the main harness for this unit to work; the others are for options that do not hamper the units functionality if they are not equipped.

More on programing: it may depend on the donor vehicle you got it from. In my case, the OEM NAV units I've purchased came from a Ford F150. They used the same unit in the Lincolns, but I'm not aware of any operational differences, other than what might appear on the screen when you power it up; my two OEM NAV units displayed the blue oval Ford emblem when they were powered on, then switched to the "media" screen (radio). Maybe the ones for a Lincolns display a different screen on power up; no biggy, as they all play as a radio, and provide navigation.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-31-2015 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Frito Bandito

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I may be selling my HU that has been programmed for my 08 and the sync module as well. So i can use the phone button and bluetooth audio, send me a PM if youre interested

Quick Reply: Oem navigation in 05