Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Odometer records wrong milelage

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer records wrong milelage

My Brother purchased a 2009 Ford F150 4x4 Super Crew, for his wife. They drive the truck below average miles, but the odometer is recording 5 times the mile driven. It was purchased December of 2008, and now the odometer reads over 20,000 miles. They have been watching it and taking it in to Ford Service Centers only to get the NPF (no problem found) diagnosis. The tires look brand new, as proof their not crazy. I recently drove it to check it out myself and found that on occasion, it would record 3 times the mileage the GPS said it was recording. Then the bizarre occurred, I recorded the mileage and shut the vehicle off, I restarted the vehicle and it then had 230 more miles on the odometer then it did before I shut it off. It did not do this everytime but 3 out 7 times. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Also, the truck was taken in for electrical problems shortly after it was purchased, then at times now on a more frequent basis, it shifts and makes a metal on metal sound in the transmission, to the point it sounds like you ran over something, truck has been taken in 4 times for that, again NPF. What should they do? Do they have a lemon?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd take the GPS, go back to the dealer and make a service rep drive around with me to verify the mileage issue. Then do the on/off thing and show them the odometer jumps. If it's plainly evident and they still refuse to acknowledge it then call Ford Customer Service and raise some hell.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the other hand I bet the mileage is AWESOME.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Boy that is going to kill your resale. You should try to get that squared away quick...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:04 PM
mdw

This might sound silly but my squad car is an 08 Expidition and our fleet machanic couldn't understand why the milage was so far off between services. We later found out that it was flipping between kilometers and miles in between shifts and turning it on and off on calls. It took quite a while but he tracked it down to an electric issue, I think in the computer.? It was resolved by the dealer under warranty and no problems since and we run our vehicles hard 24-7. I'll try to find out what exactly it was and post it later. Hope it helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the right forum may help
Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM

I appreciate your help, this sounds exactly like the problem. The problems all started out electrical in nature. First the windshield wipers would not function, then the radio would go out from time to time, then the power windows malfunctioned.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Default right forum

Originally Posted by ATOM
the right forum may help
Thanks I will look for the odo, transmission, electrical malfunction forum

Quick Reply: Odometer records wrong milelage