Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Odd acceleration problems.. anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:34 PM
06 SuperCab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd acceleration problems.. anyone else?

Ok so when I press the accelerator to the floor in my 06 5.4 Scab I expect a quick downshift and then a burst of acceleration. This is not what I receive, I get what feels like engine braking that makes you lunge forward and then after about a solid 2 second or more lag it will start to pick up a bit. I've been missing here and there on wet days when accelerating but this doesn't really feel related. Anyone else have this issue or someone know what could be at fault?
Old 05-02-2009, 12:43 PM
05 f150 screw

ya mine has a date coming up with a mechanic....feels like my front end is pulling back at times when im accelerating, and coasting, as if im braking in the front but not in the back
but i also notice that for a 5.4, it doesnt seem to deliver the power i would be expecting
Old 05-02-2009, 01:11 PM
oops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got the 4.6 and i seem to **** my motor/tranny off from time to time it either will rev and not accelerate as much as i would expect or else stay in the higher gear and lug along. I hate "drive by wire". But I almost wonder if it is a software problem for all of us, ie: the computer isnt sending out the right info?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:29 PM
05 f150 screw

its possible, i mean i can put the throttle down, and it will rev like a beast, but wont accelerate as i would expect
Old 05-02-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 minutes and see if that helps some. This will reset your computer. Worth a try
Old 05-04-2009, 05:29 PM

I have had this problem for months in my 04 5.4 FX4. Takes forever to get up to speed. Does much better at highway speeds, but acceleration from 0 to anything, is ridiculous. Feels like it is choking. I've replaced/repaired nearly every area that could make it "choke". Nothing has worked. Only thing left to consider is the dang cam phasers. I've just about given up on any other solution.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:56 PM

hey guys i own a 4.6 and have the same problem i disconected my battery and touched my positive to my negative and held the brake to the floor for 30 secs.... obdII way to reset the computer it didnt help as much as i thought it would.
i also changed my tps and noticed the lagg go away quite abit its still there tho. and on this site somewhere is a guy thats trying to put drive by cable in his new truck but theres three sensors two on our throttle body (one on each side) and one on our peddle. i also put a k&n filter in and took out the very last part of my intake that sucks it in from the fender its idling lower and still have the lagg. has anyone broke out the guts of thier catalytic converters yet? does that help? i heard it used to
Old 05-05-2009, 08:28 AM

So far I have: cleaned injectors, replaced fuel filter, had cat converters replaced by Ford, added cold air intake, added Superchips tuner, had a tune up done at dealership at 70k miles (all but one plug broke, by the way). None of this has helped. The tuner seemed to help a little, but that's it. Engine performs better early in the day but as it gets warmer or it seems to get worse.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM

has anyone thought about putting in new fuel injectors? or had the fuel pressure checked? this lag is really bugging alot of us.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe this lag was built into the truck for a reason
Maybe to keep the torque for from snapping something or to help keep the truck steady on the road?

The other day I watched a dodge ram with the big hemi engine kick into it from a stop light and she couldn't keep the truck straight it was all over the road. The road was a little wet form the rain but I was just behind him and I had no issues with my truck.

Quick Reply: Odd acceleration problems.. anyone else?