Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Octane Boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Octane Boost

Anyone know of a good octane boost that you can add to 87 octane fuel that would actually make a difference or is it more of just a scam. Thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
97F-150XLT

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Pretty much a scam. I've read several articles in the car and truck rags. They all said basically the same thing. The small amount that you add has no effect. If you use the formula for the differant octanes as they show in the mags you can see this, not to mention if your figure the cost per gallon after adding a couple of bottles of octane booster it is cheaper to but Premium gas. If you want still higher octane you can but racing gas or go to some of the smaller airports and buy airplane gas. I had a 72 Chevy truck with a 69- 396 and had to burn half airplane fuel and half premium gas to keep the valves quiet. Spend you money on something else.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well some octane boost do actually work...BUT if you dont have the tunes for it, and a tuner you will do one of two things, either hurt your engine or get no gain at all. if you have the proper tuner and the proper tunes for it then yeah you will see a difference. I used to have an engine that had 12.5 to 1 compress ratio... it was pretty wicked and i could do one of two things...buy airplane fuel or get octane booster.. yes there are bull**** products out there so do research...google search etc.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by sau4u
Anyone know of a good octane boost that you can add to 87 octane fuel that would actually make a difference or is it more of just a scam. Thanks.
Step up to 89 or 93 at your local pump. I run the 87 most of the time, but use only Shell, Mobil, or Exxon. They add cleaners to all three grades of gas, so the fuel injector cleaner or bi-anual cleaning is not nessesary.

When I tow, I always step up to 93 octane.

Octane boosters would be benificial if you ran a higher compression engine; if not, then save the money for a tankful of 93.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Step up to 89 or 93 at your local pump. I run the 87 most of the time, but use only Shell, Mobil, or Exxon. They add cleaners to all three grades of gas, so the fuel injector cleaner or bi-anual cleaning is not nessesary.

When I tow, I always step up to 93 octane.

Octane boosters would be benificial if you ran a higher compression engine; if not, then save the money for a tankful of 93.
You might see a noticable difference in a octane additive in your truck pulling better or accelerating better........but the change will be your brain imagining it really working.

Quick Reply: Octane Boost