Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Now I'm getting a rattle at startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Now I'm getting a rattle at startup

I swear it has been one thing after another with this truck. From what I read, I believe it is the tensioner causing it but I'm not 100% sure. It did it for 3-4 seconds at startup and went away. I dropped my son off at school and I didn't notice it under load. Just at start up. I started it up when I got back home and it didn't do it. I'm so fed up... This is ridiculous for 49K miles....
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

what year... what motor...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Sorry. 2004 with the 5.4. I've been on other posts because before this, and during, I have the knocking after op temp is achieved...
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

The only thing I can give for advice is to make sure the oil is full and is being changed in a timely manner

If it is then i am guessing you have a blown tensioner seal.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Agreed. I have an 05 with 113k miles and I get this probably every other morning on cold start. You will probably also notice that when the truck is hot and you roll the windows down, that you can hear a clatter when you let off the gas. I wonder how long this can be driven before it explodes. I've heard some people say its normal, others not so much. Its an expensive repair and if you are tearing it all down to replace the tensioner, might as well do the chains and phasers while you're in there.

I'm making my last payment on mine this week and I'll own it. For awhile I was just gonna dump it, but now that I will actually own it outright, I may just spend thet 1200 bucks and have it fixed. I know the transmission will be next, but hey, everything mechanical breaks sooner or later. Sometimes it comes sooner and that sucks, but like my pops used to tell me, thats life in the big city. You could have a chevy or a dodge with a bum transmission and clunky stearing box, so count your blessings.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 AM

I think I'm leaning on dumping mine. I just bought it. It has 49K miles on it and I owe $15K. I can't start dumping extra money in this thing. Who am I kidding...I don't have extra money to be dumping into it. I bought this truck thinking with low miles, nothing major would need to be done for a couple years. Looking back, I should have replaced the engine in my 99 F250 and kept driving a car. Instead I sold both to get a "dependable" truck. This thing has really bitten me in the ****.....
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rswright11
I think I'm leaning on dumping mine. I just bought it. It has 49K miles on it and I owe $15K. I can't start dumping extra money in this thing. Who am I kidding...I don't have extra money to be dumping into it. I bought this truck thinking with low miles, nothing major would need to be done for a couple years. Looking back, I should have replaced the engine in my 99 F250 and kept driving a car. Instead I sold both to get a "dependable" truck. This thing has really bitten me in the ****.....
You know I share your sentiments as we are both in about the same boat. After doing the full timing swap out on my truck, I don't get any start-up rattle any more, but if you'll recall, my tensioners really didn't have a "blow-out" on their seal...but it did seem that they were worn down pretty good...maybe allowing some bleed-out that allowed them to go dry when parked.

After seeing what primal has been going thru, I really wish I would have replaced all my lash adjusters at the same time too...and probably will before I get into towing anything. I have plans to buy a 5000# camper next Spring and will probably replace the lash adjusters and any suspect rockers before I hitch it up.

The other thing with my truck (I think) is the IWE solenoid and IWEs themselves. After doing my timing job and quieting the engine down a bit ... plus "disturbing" some of the vacuum lines while doing my timing job ... I think I have a "new" noise that is a partially engaging IWE. Don't discount this as an overall noise possibility on your truck either. It is pretty meaningless when your truck is just sitting, running. But as you drive, it could be significant in the noise arena.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, taking mine to the shop next week for the same issue. Got worse over time it pretty much does it all the time now. Here to hoping the warranty covers it otherwise I'm screwed.

Quick Reply: Now I'm getting a rattle at startup