Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

This is NOT good

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Default This is NOT good

So I'm driving back from lunch to school and I'm goin down a dirt road. It was a bit bouncy but nothing terrible (didn't turn over my drink in the holder) and I get back and get out and my truck has NO charge...it had just been fine and everything worked as usual. My tem. and gas gauge are still holding their reading though. I have to be at work at 415 and my **** won't start. I'm gonna try and get some cables and try and get it going that way and if that don't work ill disconnect the battery to reset the electronics. Has this ever occured with anyone else?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Raoul Duke

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you check to see if the batt connections are loose? thatd be my first stop
Old 12-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"No charge" like it won't turn over the engine or you have no dome, dash lights, dash LCD, or anything? Did you check the battery connections? Did you check the battery voltage? Is this the original battery?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

There are 3 "fusible links" under the hood. They go from the batter hot lead to the starter, the alternator, and fuse panel. You'll need a multimeter to check them if this is the case with your fault (if your battery tests good).

The bumpy ride may have caused one of them to rub and short out.

A possibility if everything else checks out. If there is no power to the fuse panel, then I'd check the fusible link from the battery to the fuse panel. If you have inside lights, dash indicators, etc, then this link is good. If the starter does not spin, then check it's fusible link (battery to starter). If the starter and fuse panel power is good, then check fusible link from battery and alternator; if this is open, the alternator doesn't charge the battery, and you basically drain the battery dead. The alternator can be tested, along with the battery. If these two items test good, then this fusible link is suspected.

If one of these 3 links are bad, then you have to find out why one (or more) of them burned out. They will literally act as a large fuse.

I'd look for other obvious conditions first.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-01-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:23 PM

hahaha i feel like such a dumb ***...negative cable came off the post. Funny story though. I asked my teacher if i could run out to try and jump is off my buddies truck and she just looked at me and went "hell yeah hunny go get that bitch runnin like when it rolled off the assembly line" haha thought id share that with yall...thanks for all the super scientific help guys
Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear it was something simple/obvious/cheap to fix.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:37 PM

oh it was very cheap...had my positive come off one time and i was so flustered since it cut off driving down the road i pulled into my buddies shop and he came up to me, punched me in the arm and told me to bolt down the battery cable next time...damn audio guys put the nut on upside down lol

Quick Reply: This is NOT good