Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Not as Easy as I thought

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not as Easy as I thought

So my multiswitch went out. I looked up a few videos and i saw the easiest way was to remove the steering wheel to gain access to the multiswitch.

All the posts I read said that after you remove the bolt in the middle, give the steering wheel a good yank and it should come off. NOT THE CASE!!

I pulled and it wouldn't come off. I then tried a jaw puller. Put one on each side where the bolts that hold on to the air bag go through and started twisting the bolt on the jaw puller.

I then heard a loud SNAP! the two brackets where the bolts that hold the air bag go through had bent and one had broken off. ALSO the screwhole where the torx screw goes screwed into got badly stripped. I tried to but the screw back in and was able to do so but it did not go in completely. The air bag does also not sit flush on the steering wheel.

My questions is: that hole where the torx bolt goes screwed into, is that replaceable? or am i completely f###ed and i have to buy the whole column? Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I circled the hole I'm referring too below in red.

DISCLAIMER: That is not my actual truck.
Attached Thumbnails Not as Easy as I thought-steering-wheel.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

That sucks man, I have pulled off many steering wheels with the puller just like you described and never had this issue. Sorry I cant help but make sure that you post any solutions that you find. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the same problem with my mustang, I tried to use a steering wheel puller that screws into the wheel and it just pulled the threads out and f'd it all up. I ended up spraying with the wd40 for a few hours and let it sit then pulled the wheel off with a small gear puller that had claws. If those threads are messed up in the middle for the bolt that holds the steering wheel on I think it is all one piece but what if you could tap the hole to the next size up and get a new bolt...just an idea. Someone else might know better if it is replaceable or not because I am not sure.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:57 PM

[MENTION=153248]Lackeys'GT[/MENTION] that is actually a very smart idea. Would i need to smoothed out the groves in that hole in order to create the new threads? or do you have any idea how i can do this? (sorry im not to familiar with how rethreading works)

Last edited by Shhernandez74; 02-16-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shhernandez74
[MENTION=153248]Lackeys'GT[/MENTION] that is actually a very smart idea. Would i need to smoothed out the groves in that hole in order to create the new threads? or do you have any idea how i can do this? (sorry im not to familiar with how rethreading works)
My understanding of it is that when you tap something (add threads) there is a chart that you can look up and it will tell you what size hole it needs to be if you do this you could just pick the next size up (make sure a similar bolt to your current on is available in that size) and look at that chart and then drill the hole to match. Then thread that hole with a tap. If there is some remnant of the old thread still there after you have drilled the hole in preparation for the new threads depending on how deep they are it should be fine but I would probably have to look at it so I don't want to tell you what to do it would have to probably be a judgment call from you. I'm no expert so these are just suggestions and not a cut solution, I have never done it personally to a steering column.
The following users liked this post:
Shhernandez74 (02-20-2015)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lackeys'GT
My understanding of it is that when you tap something (add threads) there is a chart that you can look up and it will tell you what size hole it needs to be if you do this you could just pick the next size up (make sure a similar bolt to your current on is available in that size) and look at that chart and then drill the hole to match. Then thread that hole with a tap. If there is some remnant of the old thread still there after you have drilled the hole in preparation for the new threads depending on how deep they are it should be fine but I would probably have to look at it so I don't want to tell you what to do it would have to probably be a judgment call from you. I'm no expert so these are just suggestions and not a cut solution, I have never done it personally to a steering column.
[MENTION=153248]Lackeys'GT[/MENTION] I'm actually going to go out to a junkyard this weekend try to strip the column like mine and see if I can Rethread it with the kit I've bought
Old 02-20-2015, 07:20 AM

Keep us updated!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Shhernandez74
[MENTION=153248]Lackeys'GT[/MENTION] I'm actually going to go out to a junkyard this weekend try to strip the column like mine and see if I can Rethread it with the kit I've bought
Not sure if i agree with this, stripping another one that someone else may need in the future for you to get practice. Get a piece of steel, drill a hole, tap that one and then strip it an practice re-threading it. Save the good parts in the junk yards for those that need them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM

Will do!
[MENTION=185959]vintageman[/MENTION] Wouldn't i basically not be breaking any parts since im stripping it and then rethreading it? Essentially breaking it and then fixing it so it can be used again? Also i just wanted to check if the metal used on the steering column would react in any way when i rethread it.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how says the easiest way is removing the steering wheel but, it is much easier to remote the shrouds and unbolt the multi function switch.

Quick Reply: Not as Easy as I thought