Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Normal IWE behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Normal IWE behavior?

I was just replacing my not-that-old cheap brake pads with ceramics (sick of the squeaking). When I jacked up the passenger side, I gave the wheel a forward spin, and the IWE made a ratcheting sound (I know they're engaged when the truck is off because no vacuum). When I spun it backwards, it locked with the axle and spun the axle. Forward again, ratchet. Backwards, turned axle.

When I did the other side, spinning forwards and backwards spun the axle with no ratcheting sound.

After I was done with the brakes, I fired it up, and jacked up the passenger's side again. The wheel spun freely in 2wd both forwards and backwards (expected behavior). When I put it in 4wd it locked the axle spinning backwards and ratcheted forwards. I then tried the other side... and it locked the axle backwards and ratcheted forward, unlike when the truck was off and it locked both forward and backward. So when the truck was running both sides did the same thing.

Is this normal behavior? The 4wd seemed to be working fine the few times I've used it on ice this winter. Today is the last "nice" day we'll see until spring, so if I need to replace one or both it's gotta be today. Tomorrow winter is howling in with sub zero windchills and 50MPH winds.

Sorry for the wall of text but I wanted to make sure all info was here.

Thanks all!
Old 01-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Extreme DIY Homeowner

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Don't know if that is normal

From what I have read (from memory)
Will need to find the thread but there is a solenoid (?) on the firewall that has a new part
The old part allows water into the system, whcih can screw up the IWE etc
The new part has a shroud that goes above/around it that protects it
Many people are replacing the solenoid got ~$23 to avoid problems

...and part of the replacement may be draining the vacuum line (?) at the wheels
I thought it was a joke at 1st....draining the line

Ah....Found it

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/my-satu...-18608/index2/

2nd thread w/info

https://www.f150forum.com/f4/anyone-...d-6691/index8/

Quick Reply: Normal IWE behavior?