Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Is the normal 5.4 3v noise.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps28ab0634.mp4
notastockdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

I need to know wtf it is seems to be prevalent during cold start, at idle only goes away with rpm . Might do it longer on very cold days. I'm lost and frustrated, probably going to beat the guy I bought this from. It didn't do this when I tear drove it and when it was idling before I bought it. But previous owner did put new plugs, 2 coil packs???, oil change, alternator, belt, brakes, shocks struts, coil springs 2 months ago. A bunch of money I saw the bill. He turns around and sold it to months later less than 3k miles later. I think he was chasing the same jerk/buck when it goes into overdrive up an incline. I got new 8 coil packs coming to fix that I hope. But this engine noise scares me it sounds like a diesel sorta on cold starts or cold days.
notastockdohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
5 Year Member

Sounds like the cam phasers are a bit noisy. If the previous owner wasn't religous about oil changes when needed, ensuring oil level was proper, and using a good oil with a good oil filter they will get excessive wear. It can be very expensive to replace the cam phasers/chains, etc. Good Luck
FrozenTundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM   #4

Could be CAM phasers. Best way to test it is to get up next to a building with your window down, like when you are waiting at a drive thru. If you hear a loud ticking echoing off the wall, it would probably be a CAM phaser.
On the other hand, it could be the lifters. The lifters are notoriously loud on this truck, so it would not be a surprise if that is the source. Maybe the cold weather restricts oil from reaching the lifters somehow? Anyways, I've read that changing the oil may help, but do NOT use a Fram filter.
Lastly, if it is a whine, it is probably an idler pulley, which is an easy fix. Let us know what you find out!

Last edited by Walkerrun; Today at 01:24 AM. Reason: Misspelled
Walkerrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:17 AM