Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Noisy 5.4 L !!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 12:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Noisy 5.4 L !!!!!!!!

Hi guys, I am getting noise from my engine. When I start it cold it sounds like marbles banging around, and goes away as it warms up (within 10 or so seconds). But when driving, as in going up a hill, it is making the noise again. I thought it might be something with the exhaust, but it defininitely sounds like engine, at least during cold startup.
So now I am wondering if it is internal, such as crank bearings, or the cam phasers. It has 150 000 kms on it (also has the original plugs, yes I know I need to change them, but I am scared).
During driving up a hill, it does it until you let off the gas, then it seems to go away. It has been doing it for awhile but seems to be getting worse, and the dealership couldn't hear it before.
Any ideas guys, this is driving me nuts now with the warmer weather and the windows down! Thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Ford Tough !!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomberfan
Hi guys, I am getting noise from my engine. When I start it cold it sounds like marbles banging around, and goes away as it warms up (within 10 or so seconds). But when driving, as in going up a hill, it is making the noise again. I thought it might be something with the exhaust, but it defininitely sounds like engine, at least during cold startup.
So now I am wondering if it is internal, such as crank bearings, or the cam phasers. It has 150 000 kms on it (also has the original plugs, yes I know I need to change them, but I am scared).
During driving up a hill, it does it until you let off the gas, then it seems to go away. It has been doing it for awhile but seems to be getting worse, and the dealership couldn't hear it before.
Any ideas guys, this is driving me nuts now with the warmer weather and the windows down! Thanks.
There is only one sound that sounds like marbles in the engine, well with exception to placing marbles in your engine that that is, is rod bearing(s) bout to go. Then again I not heard bad cam phasers. Reading on here it sounds like cam phaser sounds like low or no oil, a ticking sound in the top of the engine.
Especially when you say it does this on a cold start or when under a load.
Do you change your oil like you do your plugs?

Changing these plugs on your truck I would be skeered to change um as well from what I have learnt on here about 2004 & up plugs. But knwoing the cost of a new truck & or engine, I would "pull up my big boy boxers, man up and get er done"
Regular Maintinence is key to a long satisfactory life with a Ford

Wish ya the best
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 AM

In my defence, I do regular maintenance on my truck. I usually change the oil well before 5000 kms. I just bought the truck last fall, and thought that the plugs had been changed at least once by the previous owner, but the dealer confirmed that they are originals.
I do have an aftermarket warranty on the powertrain, so I am kinda hopin that the engine lets go (maybe before I do the plugs). Thanks!
Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your described symptoms sound an awful lot like an exhaust leak. Either a warped or cracked manifold or bad mani gasket. As the engine warms the crack expands and seals, quieting things down, but it will pop rather loudly under load/acceleration. Usually the pass. side does this. Worth a look.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:27 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by desi
Your described symptoms sound an awful lot like an exhaust leak. Either a warped or cracked manifold or bad mani gasket. As the engine warms the crack expands and seals, quieting things down, but it will pop rather loudly under load/acceleration. Usually the pass. side does this. Worth a look.
The sound goes away, or almost goes away within about 10 seconds of idling. Do you think it would create enough heat in 10 secs to expand anything? Other than that, your suggestion seems possible.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bomberfan, I'm doing my plugs soon. Also have 150,000 kms. We talked about this once before. Will you be doing yours yourself? and if so we can share the extraction tool.

Keep in mind ford's "original" maintenance schedule recommended changing the plugs at 100,000 miles and you and I only have 95,000 miles. And guess what- nothing wrong with the spark plugs they're running fine. I will be changing them in the next few months according to the maintenance schedule but the crap about changing them at 60,000 kms- as ford now recommends. That is just throwing your money away. lets be realistic here. The plugs are gonna break- major design flaw, Ford your design was a major $%&@ up, Your engineers should be embarassed that they never considered this. Like that is retarded, I work directly with Engineers every day and their job is to consider every aspect of every scenario. Many people will not buy that truck because of it. and sorry, I don't think Ford will be getting my money on replacing my plugs twice as often. lol ok sorry. I'll calm down.
john

Quick Reply: Noisy 5.4 L !!!!!!!!