Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Noise from rear end but not a limited slip diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Noise from rear end but not a limited slip diff

Ok so I have a 2004 f150 xlt 4x4 (new body) and this morning I was pulling out to drive to school and I heard clunking in the rear end and felt like it was binding up. Now I didn't give it gas just a roll to the end of my driveway. Ok so I heard the clunking I got out and didn't see anything stuck on the shaft or wheels so I left to school but when I drive to school (3miles from home) I didn't hear any clunking or binding. And when I turn nothing. Now my u joints are going bad and starting to a squick but aren't falling off. Now the thing is I know this happens with limited slips but I have a open diff so i don't know. Hopefully it's my drive shaft which I alredy need to replace and not my actual diff going bad
Old 10-23-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

I'd go after the U-joints first, since you know they are in the process of failing. This is likely to solve your problem. Also make sure the E-brake is fully released. I inadvertently drove off the other day with my brake lightly applied and encountered a low speed chatter and light grabbing/binding. If you still have suspicions about the diff, pull the cover and examine the fluid. Its normal to have micro-sized glitter but fish scales or larger is a dying rear end.

Last edited by PerryB; 10-23-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had replaced the diff fluid in March or April and everything was all good then. I do need to replace the fluid due to old contamination when I had salt water in my diff so I had replace it with autozone fluid to "flush" the diff and gana put new fluid so when I do I'll check for particles and I'm gana bite the bullet and just buy a new shaft since these for shaft are non- serviceable

Quick Reply: Noise from rear end but not a limited slip diff