Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No overdrive!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No overdrive!

Any ideas on what could be wrong with my transmission? I have an 04 f150 fx4. Shifts fine if I turn o/d off. First 3 gears work great. When it shifts in to overdrive it's like shifting into neutral. I know a guy that drove his for 3 years like this. Do I need to rebuild transmission or is it something I can fix? Is there any options for aftermarket transmissions? Thanks for any help.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to mine. I drove on it for about 15k or so, before I could afford to get it fixed. Had a rebuilt put in.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM

I saw some stuff online about a servo retainer clip could cause this. Not sure what that is or how hard it would be to put in.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

same thing happen to my tranny about 2 months ago or so....ive been driving on it since...i just watch the temp of the tranny to make sure im not over heating....but as said above i believe its a clip in the tranny that brakes which causes the O/D to crap out...seems to be a pretty common thing for our trucks...atleast the 04's...dont be afraid to drive the truck normal...just whenever you can get it fixed go for it...just pricey
Old 10-22-2010, 10:16 PM

Default cheap fix

Hi, I just had this problem in my 2005, after taking it to tranny shops and two ford dealers and getting quates suggesting the tranny will need a full rebuild ( bull****) I started doing research on this and other sites and read that the overdrive solinoid retaining clip may break and either the solinoid will fall or in my case just the two end pieces of the clip broke off , were you would insert the c clip pliers ( hope you understand) anyway after having this info and having a little understanding of the tranny I went and seen another tranny place and descibed what I thought was the problem, the tranny man then did a little research of his own and found a service bullitin which said basically the same thing. tranny did not need to be removed as I was told by all the other places, buddy dropped the pan removed the valve housing assy and the above problem was verified and the two broken end tips of the c clip were removed, tranny flush and filter change with a shift kit installed $ 650.00......alot better than the $2-3-4 thousand dollar quates I was getting. I suggest you google search 4r70 tranny schematics and get youself loaded up on the tranny lingo before you go to some of these **** heads who just want to rip you off.
Good luck!!
PS; it may also be the 3-4 shift valve, also an easy fix....Dont have your tranny rebuilt if it has this problem! after seeing what was involved and my good mechanic called me to show me, I could have done this in my garage. Most trany shops are rip offs, arm yourself with this info and view parts manuals and schematics so you wont be taken.

Last edited by Rich8a; 10-22-2010 at 10:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JZ2424 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-22-2010, 10:19 PM

glad it worked out for you. Yeah if you do a little research of your issue and going to the mechanic to discuss it your probably less likely to get ripped off, at least that my humble opinion.
Steve Wylie (07-12-2019)
Old 10-22-2010, 10:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy
glad it worked out for you. Yeah if you do a little research of your issue and going to the mechanic to discuss it your probably less likely to get ripped off, at least that my humble opinion.
Unfortunately, the tranny shops are pretty shady. They always have been and likely always will. That is how they make their money. I would not take it to anywhere but somewhere that is going to overhaul your original tranny anyway. No telling what you are going to get.
Steve Wylie (07-12-2019)
Old 10-23-2010, 05:13 PM

thanks for all the help. i will see if i can fix it myself maybe with some luck it will work. all the transmission shops want to do a rebuild. i bet they would just fix this and charge me for a total rebuild.
Steve Wylie (07-12-2019)
Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 AM

Tavis, your last sentance is so true, the 1st asswipe i went to gave me a quate for 2600.00 to rebuild my tranny, I asked is this going to be my tranny rebuilt or are you just going to throw a rebuild in, oh no he says , I rebuild your trany from top to botton, new bearings and everything. So I went to ford and guess what, there fomoco rebuild tranny is 2600, so I mention the shop downtown to the ford guy and he says ya he orders all his trannys from us. ***** I hate liers and cheats.
Good on you for doing it yourself.
Steve Wylie (07-12-2019)
Old 05-07-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the same boat now. 2 dealers and 3 tranny shops

Quick Reply: No overdrive!