Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No muffler cs flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default No muffler cs flowmaster

An any of you guys tell me how the 5.4 sounds with a flowmaster original 40 series vs just no muffler at all? I'm indecisive as to which I wanna run
Old 03-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Quiet
Old 03-05-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

it depends what you are after for sound
driving down the highway/city street hearing the loud non stop droning
or have something that has a deep throaty sound to it and little droning
i personally have a series 44 si/so with a 5inch by 12 tip on and love it loud enough to hear by not load enough to drive you bonkers. all the trucks i know of with strait pipes seem to be a lot of noise and lil go
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 PM

I guess it's hard to explain. I want it to be loud. I want to hear it and want to be heard. But I don't want it to be so loud that you can't think. Right now I have the muffler cut off and the pipe stops there. I can't decide if I'm going to just have it dialed from there back or if I wanna do a single in dual out flowmaster or magnaflow muffler. If it's going to quiet it down then I don't want to do a muffler because it could almost be louder
Old 03-05-2015, 09:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As for the setup I am running you will be heard. Alot can be achieved just by adding tips when orginaly put my 44 on it was noticeable but I wanted to have more tone so I put on a 5 inch gibson metal mulisha tip and it really deepened the tone and made it louder
Old 03-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Sound wise u can't beat a glass pack that's wAt I have now with two magnaflow high flow cats. I had a 44 before that and i just didn't like the sound . I wanted the v8 scream and that's wat a glass picks give u just have to keep the cats and ull be fine. I didn't feel any decrease in power at all .
Old 03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRomo
I guess it's hard to explain. I want it to be loud. I want to hear it and want to be heard. But I don't want it to be so loud that you can't think. Right now I have the muffler cut off and the pipe stops there. I can't decide if I'm going to just have it dialed from there back or if I wanna do a single in dual out flowmaster or magnaflow muffler. If it's going to quiet it down then I don't want to do a muffler because it could almost be louder
If you aren't running a muffler right now and it's not loud enough for you, you already have your answer because addidng a muffler will quiet it down. However, a muffler like a Flowmaster Super 10, which is the closest to a straight-pipe sound that we offer, will improve your tone and still be extremely loud, with improved scavenging characteristics. It's all personal preference.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm going to agree with Matt on this one. I was running a straigh pipe set up, all 3" piping, with stock manifolds and cats and it was awesome sounding. I recently installed stainless long tube headers with catless 3" "Y" pipe that goes into single 3" straight pipe exhaust and routed out the side. The sound is amazing in all aspects except for at highway speeds and I cant hear anything except for the exhaust roaring. Personally, if you still have stock manifolds and cats, just straight pipe it.
The following users liked this post:
LEN671 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
I'm going to agree with Matt on this one. I was running a straigh pipe set up, all 3" piping, with stock manifolds and cats and it was awesome sounding. I recently installed stainless long tube headers with catless 3" "Y" pipe that goes into single 3" straight pipe exhaust and routed out the side. The sound is amazing in all aspects except for at highway speeds and I cant hear anything except for the exhaust roaring. Personally, if you still have stock manifolds and cats, just straight pipe it.
how badly did it effect your mileage?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

My mileage has acutally gone up almost 1mpg since getting the headers on.
The following users liked this post:
LEN671 (03-07-2015)

Quick Reply: No muffler cs flowmaster