Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No heat

I have a 2006 F150 and my wife says when outside temps are low, teens to 20 deg. there's no heat, then when it warms up 30+ there is heat again. I haven't had a chance to dig into yet so I'm looking for some ideas before I do. It probably might be the fact that my wife doesn't drive very far to work, less than a mile. I have always wondered if it might not be good overall for the truck to be driven such a short distance everyday M-F especially in the winter.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 AM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wdgold
I have a 2006 F150 and my wife says when outside temps are low, teens to 20 deg. there's no heat, then when it warms up 30+ there is heat again. I haven't had a chance to dig into yet so I'm looking for some ideas before I do. It probably might be the fact that my wife doesn't drive very far to work, less than a mile. I have always wondered if it might not be good overall for the truck to be driven such a short distance everyday M-F especially in the winter.
Combination of the heat and driving distance. Take the truck out for a nice drive every other week or so and get the engine good and hot to burn of moisture buildup. Still double check the thermostat. Now that you mentioned the short distance, my wife does the same type of driving. She let me know of the heat issue and now understands that is the price you pay for living so close to work. I am guessing she got the truck because of gas mileage and you drive farther and use a vehicle that gets better mileage.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a 1 mile distance the engine isn't warm enough to make the heat hot.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Turkey Hunter
In a 1 mile distance the engine isn't warm enough to make the heat hot.
She has now told me that she had driven farther the other night about 10-20 mi. and it still didn't get hot.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If the temp gauge in the cluster shows that the engine is heating up, then you should have heat. Since you did not mention that the guage reads low, I'll assume the thermostat is opening, and the truck engine warms up.

Is this truck equipped with the auto temp feature, meaning you adjust the cabin temp by using the up/down arrows to set the tempurature reading? Or do you have the simple hot/cold dial?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
If the temp gauge in the cluster shows that the engine is heating up, then you should have heat. Since you did not mention that the guage reads low, I'll assume the thermostat is opening, and the truck engine warms up.

Is this truck equipped with the auto temp feature, meaning you adjust the cabin temp by using the up/down arrows to set the tempurature reading? Or do you have the simple hot/cold dial?
Yes, it has the auto temp feature.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the anti-freeze as well. For what it is worth, if mine is low on antifreeze it is three times worse than if it is at normal levels. Trust me, mine is cold natured, and takes a bit to warm up on these bitter cold mornings.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM
'08f150stx

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure the air is out of the system. It would over heat of the thermostat was not opening
Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
06 f150 larait

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I no my heat sucks untill the engine is hot and the higher the rpm the hotter the heat
Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Drove the truck this morning, temp was 29 deg. and the ambient sensor looked correct. Temp needle was reading in the middle when it was up to temp. Tried every scenario possible as far as temp settings air flow settings etc. I was getting good heat no matter what I did, so everything seems to be working normal. I will probably have to wait for it to get colder outside before I can see if there is a problem or not. My ? is if I do find an issue with the heat with colder temps outside what could be causing this.

Quick Reply: No heat