Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

no brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no brake lights?

ok when i lock my truck with the remote all the lights flash including the brake lights, and when i put it in reverse im pretty sure they light up but when i hit the pedal to slow down they dont come on? i put a programmer on my truck and while i was hiding the wires under the dash i noticed the previous owner has duct tape wrap around a bunch of wires und there holding them up or something. so i texted him asked what it was all about and he said its holding the brake light harness to the pedal itself?? if i take it off then i wont have brake lights....well buddy your duct tape didnt work and i have no brake lights. so my question is does anybody know how i can fix it? ill try and upload a pic of it in a minute so you guys can see what im talking about
Old 05-13-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 97 Likes on 96 Posts

It sounds like there is a loose connection with the brake light wiring. I would pull that duct tape off, trace the wires from the brake light switch until you find a loose connection or short, and fix it correctly. The duct tape is just masking the real problem, that should be fairly simple, even if it's a pain to find. I would start with the pins going into the brake light switch.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM

yea thats what i was gonna do is take all that crap off and fix it right. this is my first truck ive ever bought myself and i dont want anything to be half ***** fixed on it. will i be able to tell where the brake light switch is once i get under there? is it connected to the pedal? and my cruise control doesnt work either could that have something to do with the brake harness
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 PM

how can i check the the brake pedal switch? i took it off and opened it up and one of the prongs looks burned.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM

If it looks burned, then it probably is. If it is in the switch, then just put in a new switch. If it is on the wire coming from the wiring harness, then cut off the burned part and replace it.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Get a new switch. That should fix your cruise control. Duct tape huh? Might want to ask the previous owner if he "fixed" anything else.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Get a new switch. That should fix your cruise control. Duct tape huh? Might want to ask the previous owner if he "fixed" anything else.
i already did, i told him i was putting a programmer on and i saw it and he tried avoiding the question by asking how the truck did with the programmer and but he finally said thats all he "fixed"
Old 05-14-2014, 09:21 AM

and i replaced the brake switch and fuse bec it wasnt popped but looked like it had some age to it, and they work great now.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Good to hear. I love duct tape and all, but not to "fix" my truck.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by lewissa81
Good to hear. I love duct tape and all, but not to "fix" my truck.
i know what you mean lol

Quick Reply: no brake lights?