Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

no 4x4 need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no 4x4 need help

Well I found out the hard way my 4x4 does not work. Went hunting this weekend and when I needed it it was not there. Trucks a 07 Larait SC with the 5.4. I turn the switch the tranfercase engages and the light on the dash comes on but the front tires do nothing. My guess the hubs are not locking in. What could cause this. No warning light or anything like that. It had the rattling from the frontend awhile back, but that stoped. I took it to Ford a couple times and they told me they could not get it to do it, and just drive it till it breaks. Well now its broke. My wife had a 2in leveling kit from 4wheel Parts put on when I came home. I wonder if Ford will try and give me grief cause of that? Any help will be great. Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 PM

Nobody has any ideas
Old 11-01-2009, 11:54 PM

maybe the hydraulic/air line or whatever they are that engage the hubs arent hooked up
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 AM
Banned Forever!

Your vacuum line are probably plugged up, undo them and spray brake cleaner to clean them first. If that doesn't work check you 4x4 fuse, if that is OK then check you actuator, if you've been mudding or splashing in the water in the pass, then water must have damaged the actuator. Good Luck.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:14 AM

vaccuum line, that's the one I was trying to think of
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Well got my truck back from Ford today. Turns out the 4x4 was not working due to the IWE Vacuum Soleniod. They replaced it. That fixed that, but they also replaced the CV Axle on the right front, they said it was binding, and that due to the Leveling kit it would do it again problably to both sides. Now this kit was put on at 4Wheel Parts in Mid Aug. I have only put about 1000 miles on the truck since it was put on, with no off roading. It is supposed to be a 2in but the paperwork says 3in. My wife said the guy that worked with her said it was a 2in and it just had to be listed as 3in for ordering. Does that sound right? My question is what can I due to fix this? Will I have to remove the kit? How can I check to see what size it actualy is? The truck looks good with the kit. The front is about a .25 higher in the front but you really can't tell without a messering tape. This truck has to last me for A LONG time. Any help will be great.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Banned Forever!

I believe you should be alright, I think they are attempting to build a case against you so they won't have to cover it under the warranty if your CV should go out. Are you sure they changed the cv axle? Cause they don't replace any part unless it fails, warranty inspector have to see the failed part in order to approve repairs. Mine went out but after a year and I had a 6" lift but I truly abuse my truck.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:55 PM

Yea they replaced it. It looks right out of the box compared to the other side. If a Axle shatf is binding wouldn't I feel it? The truck drove great I did not notice anything since I have been home. I did hear a couple of times when backing into my parking space a slight clicking sound. I looked under the truck a couple of days ago and all the rubber boots looked fine on both sides. The Service adviser said they covered it under warrenty becasue the tech didn't notice the leveling kit on the first look at the truck, and I was called and told it was covered under warrenty last night. They did put on the paperwork that the truck was lifted. Im gonna go to 4Wheel Parts and see what they say. Since they are supposed to warrenty there work.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:28 PM

What was the cost on the IWE Vacuum Soleniod mine is doint the same thing i engage it and you can hear it engage in the transfer case but not in the front wheels anyone have an idea???

Quick Reply: no 4x4 need help