Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No 4 wheel drive

Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No 4 wheel drive

I need some help! I went to use my 4 wheel drive the other day and to my suprise it wouldn't turn on. Not lights on the dash and no turn in the front wheels. When it did work, the last time i used it, I could hear the solenoid click and the lights came on, now I hear nothing. I read some of the other posts about the solenoid on the firewall and I am not sure if this could be the problem. All the fuses for the 4x4 are good and the solenoid has power to it but it won't go into 4 wheel. Any advice or insight would be great before I have to take it to the dealer to get ripped off and raked over. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

put some dyelectric grease on the plug where it goes into the 4wd motor on the transfer case. Cost a dollar or two and it solved my problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM

The solenoid on the firewall is cheap and easy to change. I just did mine. List price is $27 at the dealer. This simple operation fixed my 4 wheel problems
Old 11-08-2009, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by OldMansTruck
put some dyelectric grease on the plug where it goes into the 4wd motor on the transfer case. Cost a dollar or two and it solved my problem.

Exactly what part or connection is being lubricated? Is this connection what would become 'stuck' and could be unstuck (as some suggest) with a rubber mallet whack to engage the 4x4 ? I've replaced the solenoid, but I hav intermittent 4x4 engage.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM

Smile

Well I am happy to say that I think I have fixed the problem. I called a few Ford dealers and finally found one with an honest service manager. He told me that the cost would be around 500 to fix the problem but also offered some good insight and information. He said to tap on the transfer case actuator (for the 4x4) and see if it would engage. With the help of a friend, I did this and yahoo it seems to be working ok now. The manager also said that this is a common problem and so far Ford has NOT published a TSB for it. I'll watch it closely and if it happens again, I guess it'll have to be replaced. Hope others that have this same type of problem can use this information as well.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:35 PM

check the air lines from firewall small crack is enough to cause issues
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM

I'm a New member, I'm having the same problem as you. I was also having trouble with the truck wanting to go into 4wd on its own and replaced the IWE valve and solved the problem. But now it wont light up or kick into 4wd, where exactly is the motor located on my 06?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:58 PM

The 4x4 engaging actuator is a small black "motor" on the side of the transfer case. It looks like a small size starter motor and has a few wires that come out the back side of it and go to a plug and harness. All I had to do is tap on it while a friend turned the switch in the truck. If it works you will here the actuator engage and the transfer case will go into 4 wheel drive (lights will also come on in dash). Hope it helps and let me know how you make out.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM

I am having a similar issue. My 4wd will engage though, but I get no indicator (dummy) light on the cluster. When I start the truck, the lights illuminate for a second or so, so I know they are not burnt out. Any segestions?
Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
07 fx4

note to all. just throw it into 4 wheel drive once a week for a short time and the solonids will not sieze. to many city folk buy 4x4s and use them once or twice a year.... thats not what they are made for!! chevy ford and dodge have had the same ****** for years and the same problems. the other problems with the vac accuator and lines are problematic also, but those are wear and tear idems. its only a matter of time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No 4 wheel drive