Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question

Hey I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 07 stx supercab. It has manual windows and locks.

I'm looking to convert the manual locks to power locks. Can somebody point me in the direction I need to go?

If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post one.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 PM

Received 267 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Swillis814
Hey I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 07 stx supercab. It has manual windows and locks.

I'm looking to convert the manual locks to power locks. Can somebody point me in the direction I need to go?

If I can figure out how to post pictures I'll post one.

Thanks for the help.
http://www.a1electric.com/

Had MES doorlock system installed for 2.5 years, no problems yet.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:04 PM

Thanks. I'll look into those.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:12 PM

[QUOTE=Dembruski;3988067]http://www.a1electric.com/

Had MES doorlock system installed for 2.5 years, no problems yet.[/QUOTE

Do those come with remotes? Or do they offer an option that has remotes?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:20 PM

I found them. I should have looked better before asking. Thanks
Old 02-14-2015, 09:22 PM

They came with remotes. It also wires into the parking lights/horn so they flash and horn honk when you lock/unlock doors.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM

Do you remember which exact kit you got? I see the have one that appears to be the lock actuators and then another that appears to be actuators and keyless entry and stuff. I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Also how hard was the wiring?
Old 02-15-2015, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Swillis814
Do you remember which exact kit you got? I see the have one that appears to be the lock actuators and then another that appears to be actuators and keyless entry and stuff. I just want to make sure I get the right thing.

Also how hard was the wiring?
I purchased part# W01f-712T for $109. Install was fairly easy, did it in a few hours. The lock actuaters lined right up also.

Tied into parking lights behing headlight switch

Mounted the brain and the relay on the metal support under the steering column

Make you ground both grounds or it will not work, the black box actually had 2 gound wires. I found this out with a call to tech support

One more pic of th lock actuator

Hope this helps
Old 02-16-2015, 05:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

$109.00 for the kit? Wow, a bit pricy. I've done the power door lock install on 3 different trucks now, and never paid over $39.00 for a kit. One kit that I installed is in a Fors Ranger that my son now drives, and is over 14 years old, and still works perfectly.

Nice install. The only suggestion I can offer is to lengthen the wiring to the doors a bit so that the transmitter "brain box" is placed at the top of the dash, right over the radio. This way the key transmitters provide the best range, with a clearer view to the brain boxes antenna. I powered mine via the cigarrette lighter, and ground was easily obtained in that area with all the dash plates/brackets. The brain box was easily tied down to the metal bracket above the radio with tie straps.

Since most kits you buy are for 4 doors, you can cut off the extended wires that run to the back doors and use this wire to extend the wiring to permit the box to be at the center, and top of the dash.

I also use black tape to wrap all the wiring before I feed it into the body/door jamb area; I also use that plastic wiring protection that yiou can buy in a large roll. Makes for cleaner install, and helps protect the wiring.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-16-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
$109.00 for the kit? Wow, a bit pricy. I've done the power door lock install on 3 different trucks now, and never paid over $39.00 for a kit. One kit that I installed is in a Fors Ranger that my son now drives, and is over 14 years old, and still works perfectly.

Nice install. The only suggestion I can offer is to lengthen the wiring to the doors a bit so that the transmitter "brain box" is placed at the top of the dash, right over the radio. This way the key transmitters provide the best range, with a clearer view to the brain boxes antenna. I powered mine via the cigarrette lighter, and ground was easily obtained in that area with all the dash plates/brackets. The brain box was easily tied down to the metal bracket above the radio with tie straps.

Since most kits you buy are for 4 doors, you can cut off the extended wires that run to the back doors and use this wire to extend the wiring to permit the box to be at the center, and top of the dash.

I also use black tape to wrap all the wiring before I feed it into the body/door jamb area; I also use that plastic wiring protection that yiou can buy in a large roll. Makes for cleaner install, and helps protect the wiring.
I know it a little expensive, but it is a quality kit. My google skills must need tweaking. The wires that go from the brain to the doors are already protected by a thick rubber wire sleeve that you can see in the 3rd picture coming off the blue relay switch, so there was no need to wrap it. I powered mine by installing an add-a-fuse directly to the fuse panel. I stuck the brain uder the column because I wanted to use a factory ground point, which is located by the e-brake. I will try rerouting the antenna to above the radio, it is currently above my Fx4 dash cluster (which I installed after reading your posts) and it does not have the best range. Lake Maryhuh, that is only 15min from my house.

Quick Reply: Newbie question