Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Newbie ....

Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Newbie ....

Hi folks,

I am a newbie both in the forums and into the truck world. I owed 4 Windstars but now the time has come to get myself a truck. Today I was at a Ford dealer and made an offer on a 2006 F-150 crew cab, 4X4, 4.6l. it has around 63K miles on it ... A little high but that's all I could afford.

I took it for a test drive and it was driving solid. Very recently I had a rental Sierra crew cab as a rental, and F-150 was driving much better, probably because the other one was rental. I gave it a good check up and down as much as I could but I am no mechanic. The dealer is offering a 6 month warranty on it and I will be buying Ford's Power Train warranty for the longest period.

Except the stuff I could locate visually, is there anything I should be wary of in this truck ? Are there certain things which normally just die at around this mileage is what I mean I guess.

I asked the dealer for the carproof report (Canadian carfax basically) but I only got the lien part and they said they do not run carproof and they stand behind their vehicles and they have a disclosure sheet basically guaranting that the car hasn't been in a flood, accident, not painted blah blah blah. This sort of made me feel uneasy but I am not sure if 40 bucks to run a carproof report is worth it. I used carfax's free vin checker and it said it found 9 records, is that normal for a 4 year old truck ?

I will be using it as my primary vehicle and to tow my tent trailer, so it won't see heavy duty work. Can I expect at least 5-6 years of life out of this truck with around 16-19K miles a year ? I am hoping that whatever breaks down will be covered by the extended warranty if any .....

Thanks for your help in advance !
Old 08-08-2009, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell them to change the plugs before you take possession and it's a deal. The biggest headache with these trucks is the factory plugs. Something so simple can turn into a $700 or more job.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:12 AM
UrbanTerrain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the plug problem was only on the 5.4s.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanTerrain
I thought the plug problem was only on the 5.4s.
Correct. You don't have to worry about that with the 4.6.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I'd walk from it; something is wrong if they will not provide a full report on the truck. Makes no sense that they say they only run a partial report.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It is conditional on my financing to go through with my own bank. Once I know that the financing goes through, I will cough up the 45 bucks and run the report. If there are any accidents I will simply walk away ..... All I need to tell them is that I couldn't get financed.

I understand the truck (in its year and being a 4X4) seems to be a good one in general then ? No known trouble spots except the usual stuff which sooner or later happens to everything ? That is nice to hear, hopefully

Darn Carreport is one time 45 bucks but gives very nice canadian history. Carfax unlimited for a year is what 39 bucks ? I will not be sinking 20K on a truck without knowing its history .....

Thanks for the comments .....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie ....