Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Wheels/Tires for my 08 F150

Old 06-15-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Default New Wheels/Tires for my 08 F150

Just arrived from DTD today. Unfortunately they mounted them wrong as I chose to have the OWL showing (I'm old school - I like polished aluminum and white letters) so I have to get them remounted, but still happy and excited to get them mounted soon. Just wanted to share.

Method The Standard 18x9's with Cooper Discoverer At3 275/65/18's

Name:  New%20wheels%20tires%20f150_zps5hmlopaa.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  224.2 KB
Name:  New%20wheels%20tires%20f1503_zpsguqyoyc4.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  242.1 KB
Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you post a pic of them mounted when you get to it? I have a 2005 SCab and my wheels are chrome, and have become quite pitted, so looking for new ones. Most of the wheels these days are black, but on my truck chrome or aluminum is going to look a lot better. Those wheels you have look pretty nice.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:41 AM
SSDD

Received 1,611 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I really like the custom, yet simplistic styling of your rims
The following users liked this post:
kbreese (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 10:12 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Looks good with the black letters out.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

They look great! I am also not a fan of the black wheel and "murder" look but respect tastes differ within the F150 crowd
kbreese (06-16-2016)
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by convergent
Can you post a pic of them mounted when you get to it? I have a 2005 SCab and my wheels are chrome, and have become quite pitted, so looking for new ones. Most of the wheels these days are black, but on my truck chrome or aluminum is going to look a lot better. Those wheels you have look pretty nice.
Sure thing Bro. Will post as soon as I get them mounted up. I am not a fan of all these black wheels, I think most are ugly as sin...like the rockstars, etc. IMO, polished + white letter tires looks awesome and so much better then black wheels with black tires. Every time I see a truck on the road with this kind of setup it just catches my eye and looks worlds better than the black setups. It has pop, chop, shine and classic good looks.

I was originally going to go with Dick Cepek DC-2's but became a big fan of these Machined Method wheels, which I think look awesome. I used to have raw polished aluminum wheels on my 99 WS6 many years ago. Love the look but were a total Bitch to keep clean. These method wheels look almost as awesome in terms of the clean metal shine, but will be worlds easier to keep clean, being they are clear coated.

For reference, here's some pics of my WS6 wheels:
Name:  Dsc00352.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  114.1 KB
Name:  Dsc00449.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  64.2 KB

LET'S SEE BLACK WHEELS LOOK LIKE THIS WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN...OR ANYTIME
Name:  Dsc00407.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  29.7 KB

Last edited by kbreese; 06-16-2016 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:30 AM

Received 665 Likes on 517 Posts

Polished wheels always look great when they are cared for, but man, what a pain in the *** to keep up on them. I had a set on my Ranger that needed constant attention. I also ran them in the winter, so every spring was very painful.
Can't wat to see your new wheels mounted. Good to see something different.

Old 06-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Polished wheels always look great when they are cared for, but man, what a pain in the *** to keep up on them. I had a set on my Ranger that needed constant attention. I also ran them in the winter, so every spring was very painful.

That looks awesome I LOVE that look! I was debating getting wheels just like that. Very cool ranger!

I also think the BFG OWL tires look the best and originally wanted to get the KO2's but oh my god, they are so heavy! They are 59lbs for a 275/65/18 tire!! That's crazy!!

I only have a 4.6 V8 in my truck and everyone knows that's not exactly a powerhouse of an engine. I wasn't going to make it even slower with boat anchors for tires.

So I kept looking and these Coopers come very well reviewed, look good and according to DTD these "only" weight 43lbs. Still not light but much lighter then the KO2's.

The wheels are only supposed to be 28lbs which isn't too bad. The combo still feels quite heavy, but I am new to truck tires. I'll have to weight them and see what I come up with.

If it wasn't for the weight factor I would have went with something bigger, but I was trying to balance appearance with some practicality. I didn't want to go down to 12 MPG and make the truck a total slug just to have a big set of wheels and tires. Plus I think 18's with a nice AT tire still looks pretty good, even on a big supercrew.

I also think they OWL make smaller wheels look bigger as the white letters draw your eye out and make it kinda work in conjunction with the wheel as a larger visual diameter if you know what I mean. Kinda hard to explain.

Anyhow, planning on getting them mounted this Saturday and will report back...

Last edited by kbreese; 06-17-2016 at 08:26 AM.
powerranger262 (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 08:46 AM

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by powerranger262
Do you think the milled/polished aluminum are any more work to maintain than chrome? I have a set of Zinik wheels on my truck from the prior owner, and they had a lot of pitting between the spokes in the chrome when I got it. Unless you look closely (when its clean), you don't notice that much... but as they get dirty the brake dust hangs on the pits and they look awful. I am thinking of replacing them, but sad to throw out over $1,000 worth of wheels. So is aluminum any harder to maintain than chrome? Any worries of killing the clear coat?
Old 06-17-2016, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by convergent
Do you think the milled/polished aluminum are any more work to maintain than chrome? I have a set of Zinik wheels on my truck from the prior owner, and they had a lot of pitting between the spokes in the chrome when I got it. Unless you look closely (when its clean), you don't notice that much... but as they get dirty the brake dust hangs on the pits and they look awful. I am thinking of replacing them, but sad to throw out over $1,000 worth of wheels. So is aluminum any harder to maintain than chrome? Any worries of killing the clear coat?

RAW polished aluminum is the most difficult by far to maintain. It takes a lot of elbow grease to keep them shiny.But it looks amazing, and will pretty much last forever. There is nothing to start peeling off or pitting. You just have to keep them polished. It's raw metal.

Clear coated polished aluminum (Like the Method wheels I just bought) is just as easy to maintain as any other painted wheel, since there is essentially a coat of paint (clear) on top of the aluminum. The main thing is hoping the clear lasts a long time, as it will eventually start to come off.
Higher quality the wheel & the clear coat, the longer it will last. Also, if you coat with a sealant or wax (like you do your cars paint) that will help a lot too. Not only keeping them look shiny but keeping the clear coat protected and making it last longer.

Chrome is not difficult to maintain, it's just as easy as painted wheels. But yeah, the chrome eventually starts pitting. Nothing you can really do about it. It's just a matter of time. But same as with painted wheels, if of course higher quality wheels with better chrome will last longer then cheap ones.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Wheels/Tires for my 08 F150