Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New user

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New user

Hi, Everyone. I am a young woman that works fulltime and love fishing and being with family and friends. I really need your help here, I have a 2004 Ford Super crew Pickup that makes a kinda grinding noise and the battery light will come on for a few seconds. I took it to Firestone and they put in a new Battery, Three different altenators the belt adjuster replaced. The IWE Solonoid replaced and the vacuum lines blew out and I drove it for a week or so and it did the same thing. The pickup has 49,000 original miles on it, I bought it new. Nobody here in Fargo North Dakota has any other idea's what to do with it. The noise seems to be coming from the front end, Its hard to tell. The other day I was sitting in it and the battery light came on as it was ideling. Just by sitting there. When the noise does happen it don't last long like I said, maybe 30 seconds or so. I don't lose power and the power sterring works good. The Starter works great. Please help me if you can.
Thank you.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Moved to the 2004-2008 section. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

So to clarify, you have a grinding noise occasionally while driving AND a grinding noise while sitting in park idling to which the battery light will come on as well? Your narrative is a little confusing.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Why did they replace those other parts and why 3 alternators
Old 01-22-2016, 02:12 PM

They were playing guessing games I guess. I read about the OWE Solinoid on the internet. Then I took it to Luther Ford Dealership. He thought that's what it needed also. They replaced the Solinoid and said they blew out the vacuum lines and it was fine for about a week or so and the noise came back and the battery light came on. I don't know what to do anymore, I spent so much money for nothing.
Thanks for helping
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM

I don't have a grinding noise sitting in park. Just the battery light comes on every once in a great while. The grinding noise I only hear when I drive it and the battery light comes on then also.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by luthercash
They were playing guessing games I guess. I read about the OWE Solinoid on the internet. Then I took it to Luther Ford Dealership. He thought that's what it needed also. They replaced the Solinoid and said they blew out the vacuum lines and it was fine for about a week or so and the noise came back and the battery light came on. I don't know what to do anymore, I spent so much money for nothing.
Thanks for helping
Im guessing Luther is a town and not a name to which you are related to being you took it to Luther Ford. Somethings not right here either with your details or the dealership. They should not be playing guessing games with your truck. I think the grinding noise and battery are two seperate issues. How is the truck driving right now besides the noise? Is there anyone you can trust with your truck besides Ford. Get a price from a mechanic or dealership before you leave it with them. Don't just drop it off for the day and walk away. Tell them if you have a budget and not to exceed it with diagnosis. No guessing games Period! Hopefully somebody on here can help you out
Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you hear the grinding noise, shift into 4WD Hi. If it the grinding noise goes away, it tells you that the grinding is most likely coming from the IWE's. Make sure you aren't going at highway speed when you do this

Battery light problem should be easily diagnosed by the dealer or a good auto parts store.

Stay warm.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Can you "feel" any grinding in the steering wheel when it does it and is your truck 4 wheel drive and have you tried to put it in 4x4 and if so what does it do when you try? It seems weird that they kind of fixed it with your first visit by blowing out the lines and replacing the IWE selonoid. There are plenty of guys here that know way more than I do about this set up. Try to be very specific with all of your symptoms. Im not trying to be sarcastic or a jerk or anything. I just want you to find the right help and advice with as many details as you can give us although so far I think I know what you're saying
Old 01-22-2016, 06:19 PM
Monks

Received 248 Likes on 221 Posts

IWE Vaccuum solenoid is what a lot of people have said and sounds to be the issue...are you sure they replaced it? also, id have them replace the vacuum lines as well. Check the ground straps as well, as they can cause the battery light to come on, as well as burn wheel bearings (which would cause a noise)

http://www.f150online.com/forums/art...-pictures.html

from another forum:
http://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=114738

Last edited by 650NutKase; 01-22-2016 at 06:22 PM.

Quick Reply: New user