Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Truck or Engine work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default New Truck or Engine work?

I really like my 2005 4.6L STX SCAB 4X4 EVO Gotts KN, it has 75K and uses a quart of oil between services. I stopped at the Ford dealer and looked at trucks, thought I would check out the new EcoBoost. I really did not see anything that tripped my trigger, most were 4 door and I am looking for an extended cab. Plus the difference is going to be about $30K if I trade my STX. Has anyone rebuilt their 4.6L and beefed it up? It would be good to get some more power and efficiency for the money spent. I have had no problems but thought I would be proactive and research a rebuild before necessary, no damaged parts would be an easier build than a messed up engine. Anyone know a ballpark price for blue printing and balancing? I don't know if they even do that anymore.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I rebuilt my 4.6 a little over a year ago. Cost around $1000-1200 but was a big pain. I didn't do any performance upgrades just rebuilt since I lost compression on a cylinder, ended up just being a valve not sealing but figured if I was that deep in I would take care of the bottom in too. If you love the truck fix it, but if not trade that baby in and save yourself some misery and hardwork.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:12 PM

The only thing wrong is that it uses a little oil, no drips so it must burn a bit. I was just trying to get some idea of what it would take to get it upgraded, mileage and power wise. If I could do it for under 5K I think I would consider it because that is just a portion of new truck cost.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Get you some 4v cobra heads, and kenne bell supercharger... Might go over 5k buuuuuuuut.... 😁
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM

Has anyone rebuilt a 4.6L to close tolerances and gotten better mileage and power? I get between 15 and 18 MPG depending on my driving and where I am driving, that is not bad for a 4X4 full size truck. I don't know much about superchargers, will have to do some research and see if they offer what I am looking for. Any input would be appreciated. In the old days a blue print and balanced engine would create more usable HP and was more efficient than stock engines. May talk to an engine/speed shop and see what feedback I can get from them after I weed out their sales pitch, lol.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Are there any new engines that will fit in our trucks? I have heard of new dodge engines, RTs I think, have been put in older muscle cars. A crate engine may be an option. Anyone know where to look for one?

Quick Reply: New Truck or Engine work?