Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Transmission cooler

I'm just wondering if anybody knows the size and thread pattern of the male adapters going into the aux transmission cooler? I purchased a Mishimoto tranny cooler with a fan to replace the stock one, but it's got 3/8" burr fittings on it and I need to get the female to burr adapters. I can't seem to find any information anywhere on the stock cooler. Also, when i install the new cooler, should i bleed the air out of the new cooler before hooking it to the return line? Or will it do it on its own? Any information helps, I'm mechanically inclined but I want to be absolutely sure about everything, my transmission has 150000 miles on it and it makes me nervous even looking at it haha
Old 10-20-2013, 09:40 PM

Okay, so i still cant find a listed size, but from what ive seen im going to guess it's a 1/2" flare male thread. I want to make it clean, so i'm leaning towards a flare female by burr adapter. But just for and giggles, has anyone ever put a hose and radiator clamp right on the flared pipe and just slide the male fitting out of the way? Could it mess up the hose or leak that way?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://bit.ly/GY6WZ3

Is that what your looking for?
Old 10-21-2013, 01:03 PM
Mark

Received 2,413 Likes on 2,114 Posts

I guess this cooler did not come with installation instructions ??
Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 PM

So the fitting i was looking for was a 1/2" inverted flare by 3/8" barb adapter, which nobody anywhere near me sells. So i crawled under the truck, found 2 sections of hose in the lines right below the plastic guard in the front, cut them and put a 3/8" barb coupling on there. finding those non-existent fittings was the headache of the project, but everything else was smooth sailing. The cooler mounted perfectly on the brackets for the bumper, so no drilling required. The wiring harness instructions didn't do any good, but luckily the wires were all tagged. Before I put the cooler on the temps would get to about 210 on long drives on the highway, sometimes spiking up to the low 220's. With the new cooler i haven't been able to get it over 160, and that was running it pretty hard. The fan is set to turn on at 140, and for such a little fan, it moves quite a bit of air. We'll see how good it does over time i guess.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: New Transmission cooler