Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues

Before you all respond asking about these I figured I'd post em ahead of time!
__________________________________________________ _____________
It has:
-New fuel filter about 500miles ago wix brand to be exact

-Rebuilt fuel injectors from rockauto which I just installed a month ago

-I have the edge evo programmer which is what I thought was causing it so I put it back to stock and the issue still continues, but this is how I'm seeing the fuel rail pressure and the code it throws.

-And I had already taken the fuel module off when I saw the post and cleaned it up and painted it a couple months ago, it didn't need it but I figured a little paint won't hurt.
__________________________________________________ _____________

I'm having issues where after long periods of driving my truck will start surging at around 3000 to 3500 rpm and I notice a fuel pressure drop and of course the code p0191 I believe which is fuel rail pressure sensor performance out of range or somethin like that, from the low fuel pressure anyhow.

So obviously I'm assuming I need a new fuel pump right, but it seems like right around that rpm range the fuel pressure just drops rapidly from 40-50 to 4-10psi. And I've placed it in neutral and turned the truck off and turned it back on when it's done this and doing that seems to allow me to accelerate a bit quicker but the issue comes back within seconds.

So I'm wondering could this be an FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) issue or do they only put those on diesels?
Or could it be a fuel pressure regulator? Which I found is unfortunately on the fuel pump assembly itself.
Or do some fuel pumps just go halfway out and do funky stuff like this?

Thanks for your advice in advance.
I'm dreading the fuel pump change that's why I'm trying to exhaust all other options first.
Also if this is a fuel pump issue what is a reliable replacement?
Something stock? or is there a good performance pump that won't empty my wallet?
Cause I've seen some posts of people replacing their fuel pumps multiple times.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 PM

on my buddys 04 his fuel pump shorted out due to a chaffed wire which i guess is commom its on the fuel tank.. so tanks gotta come out.. which thus shorts the control module causeing fuel problems. his would just idel thats it my other buddy had same problem but did what u describe
Old 05-30-2010, 12:15 AM

It only just passed 50,000miles and I bought it 1 yr and a half ago with 27k and almost not gravel road driving before I bought it so I wouldn't think it'd be that, but just in case where at on the fuel tank along the sides or do I have to drop the tank to see it?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:06 AM

i think the control module is by the spare tire.. dont quote me.. haha but my 2nd buddy only had 69k on his.. i mean talk to a ford dealer see what they think... they`ll prob say bring it in but if u can talk to a tech.. or ask torkum on here!! but yeah it sounds like ur module is ****ting out
Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Doesn't look like I'm having any issues with rubbing on my wire harnesses... Anyone else got any ideas besides fuel pump?

Amazon Amazon

and this is the cheapest fuel pump I found it's $185 with free shipping and it's an Airtex the same brand they tried selling me at Autozone here in town for $350 lol. I've never used airtex parts are they at least as reliable as oem motocraft?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

You may want to check out the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) itself, they're notorious for going bad. Our trucks don't have a return in our fuel system, so that module is responsible for adjusting the fuel pump to maintain the pressure. Easy access, just lower the spare tire, two bolts and you're done.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:09 PM

I thought those only went bad due to the corrosion of aluminum on steel. I already took mine off and painted it as a preventative even though it wasn't corroded. Do they go out a lot even without corroding?

Last edited by mwood1986; 06-01-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Quick Reply: New style 04 F150 Fx4 w/5.4 Fuel pressure/pump issues