Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New struts tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Default New struts tomorrow!

Ok I am changing my struts tomorrow and I have some of the easiest questions but they haven't been answered in my search. The bottom bushing on my driver side front strut has blown apart so it squeaks a lot. The struts aren't leaking but I figured I'd replace them anyways.

I bought Monroe Quick Struts to replace as a full assembly. I have a leveling kit(probably around 2", I don't know as the PO did this).

Do I need any special tools? I'm pretty sure I don't need a spring compressor to get them off/on. And I assume I don't need an alignment after I install new struts as it should be back to stock(with lift... alignment was good before so why not good now...). Do I just need to grunt the bolts off? What is the torque spec for putting it back together? Do I need to add blue Loctite to the bolts? Sorry, I don't have a shop manual.

Thanks for any help I get... Much appreciated. Love this site. My favorite F150 site
Old 06-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by corey_lax
Ok I am changing my struts tomorrow and I have some of the easiest questions but they haven't been answered in my search. The bottom bushing on my driver side front strut has blown apart so it squeaks a lot. The struts aren't leaking but I figured I'd replace them anyways.

I bought Monroe Quick Struts to replace as a full assembly. I have a leveling kit(probably around 2", I don't know as the PO did this).

Do I need any special tools? I'm pretty sure I don't need a spring compressor to get them off/on. And I assume I don't need an alignment after I install new struts as it should be back to stock(with lift... alignment was good before so why not good now...). Do I just need to grunt the bolts off? What is the torque spec for putting it back together? Do I need to add blue Loctite to the bolts? Sorry, I don't have a shop manual.

Thanks for any help I get... Much appreciated. Love this site. My favorite F150 site
To get the strut off you have to disconnect the tie rod, the knuckle from the ball joint, and disconnect the sway bar so you can lower the a arm so yeah you are gonna need an alignment.

Here's a list of tools you'll need and torque specs.

New struts tomorrow!-forumrunner_20120608_221302.jpg
Old 06-08-2012, 11:12 PM
Custom Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

All i did to take it off was undo tie rod from hub and undid the strut and pulled it out
Old 06-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No need to play with the tie rod. Just the sway bar and upper control arm ball joint. Impact gun on the bottom bot for the strut is a must. I ran the same struts and a 2inch lift and it took me maybe 2hrs with a post lift and a aircompressor.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Custom Enthusiast

Seems every one is doing it harder than it needs to be ha mine took about 2 hours and i took it apart twice because the initial drop was too much and my tire rubbed so i had to tear back down and put the 1" spacers in what took the longest was taking spring off strut and putting drop spring on but just changing struts you wont be messing with that and aligning the truck is easy DIY material.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TxCustoms89
All i did to take it off was undo tie rod from hub and undid the strut and pulled it out
I wish mine had been that easy. Mine strut wouldn't budge until the a arm dropped and that wasn't happening till all the above was unbolted.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Custom Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msdins

I wish mine had been that easy. Mine strut wouldn't budge until the a arm dropped and that wasn't happening till all the above was unbolted.
Yeah i had to undo all the stuff you said when i drilled out my camber bolt hole plus the bottom arm bolts to get them out of the way but its all worth it ha

Quick Reply: New struts tomorrow!