Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New starter issues 04 5.4 Auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New starter issues 04 5.4 Auto

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster.
Chapter 1: Just kidding, it's a long write up but I wanted to be thorough. I recently had a starter that would grind occasionally, but became more frequent. Then total failure of starter/solenoid. Starter would not engage fully and would not shut off when i turned the key off. Luckily I had a set of channelocks on my passenger seat and disconnected the battery quickly. Took the starter off and brought it to Autozone to test, first two tests were good, second test bendix stuck out. Got a remanufactured starter and put it in. Flywheel looked good. First turn of the key it started. with a little grinding. shut it of to try again to see if it was consistent and the just grinding/whining no engagement, tried a few times and still just grind/whine. Popped the plug on the bell housing to look at flywheel, moved it 1/8" and it started. So I drove it home and put it in the garage. (first failed at my work parking lot so I did the swap in the freezing cold with no jack/jack stands. Needless to say it SUCKED!!! The only good thing was I didn't have to worry about getting the top bolt out because the previous owner or mechanic must have decided it didn't need it. Made sure to put one in though, didn't want to half *** it. The truck is like my wife but better, may take all my money but at least she doesn't talk back....
anyways, got the truck home cleaned all electrical connection with a wire wheel loosened the starter bolts and pushed it in the direction of the flexwheel. Thinking it would solve the problem. tightened everything up good and it started smooth. till I realized the starter was whining after start up like it was still engaged. I'm at my wits end with it the only thing i can think of is i need to loosen the bolts again and bring it away from the flexplate a smidge, because when it wasn't engaging fully and started it retracted and now that it engages smoothly it doesn't. But idk any input is very appreciated! The last thing I want to do is bring it to the dealership. It's a great feeling of accomplishment knowing I turned the wrenches and didn't pay someone to do it.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:36 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

You may perceive some range of motion with the bolts loose, but I think as you tighten them the starter centers itself on the bolts and ends up in the same place every time. I dealt with a similar issue on a 350 Chevy engine and finally determined the thrust bearing was gone and the crank was moving back and forth nearly 1/4".
Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

I would try a OEM starter or at least a motorcraft re- man
The following users liked this post:
4tay28 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryB
You may perceive some range of motion with the bolts loose, but I think as you tighten them the starter centers itself on the bolts and ends up in the same place every time. I dealt with a similar issue on a 350 Chevy engine and finally determined the thrust bearing was gone and the crank was moving back and forth nearly 1/4".
Had the same issue with crank wander with a friends chevy. check the thrust bearing, the time it takes to check may just save you more headache down the road.
4tay28 (01-03-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:30 AM

Thumbs down Autozone remanufactured starter

made in mexico junk, took it off last night and i don't know if something inside of it is binded up, I can spin it but the bendix is stuck out. Not experienced with the internals of a starter. Bendix and flexplate ring gear look good, despite previous grinding. Going to get an OEM replacement, and keep my fingers crossed. I guess you get what you pay for, and I learned the hard way. At least i'm getting damn good at getting that top bolt in and out of the starter.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...386&cc=1422751

got this one from rock auto new not reman. so far so good after 7 months.
4tay28 (01-04-2015)
Old 01-04-2015, 09:15 PM

Talking ohhhhh yeahhhh

Bought a new OEM starter. Put it on and it starts up nice and smooth for now. Learned the hard way, next time I won't tell my wife cheap parts are an option. I would have spent the extra 60 bucks the first time if i knew it would have saved me the headache and anxiety.
techrep (01-05-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 06:01 AM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

yep...told myself that before...glad your back in business ....

Quick Reply: New starter issues 04 5.4 Auto