Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New Spark Plugs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default New Spark Plugs!!!

Been driving around with 8 new plugs new and in the boxes, packed away in my tool box for over a year now. Today, they were finally installed!!! My mechanic buddy was able to do the job. Broke the first 2 he tried... then decided to try some new, expensive penetrating lube be recently bought. Let it sit for an hour or two, and the rest came out with no trouble.

The misfiring that I swore was a bad coil pack must have just been a bad plug. So happy to have my truck running smoothly again. #overratedtuneup
Old 01-17-2014, 09:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome, he just sprayed the lube down where the plug was and let it sit in there for and hour or so? I may be trying this tomorrow..
Old 01-17-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Am3gross
Awesome, he just sprayed the lube down where the plug was and let it sit in there for and hour or so? I may be trying this tomorrow..
Exactly. I wish I knew what kind it was. He said it was like $30/can. Anyway, once the plugs were out, it was obvious that the lubricant penetrated down through all the threads and into the head. Impressive stuff.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I used kroil when I did mine. Let it sit a long time. Even did what ford recommended and just cracked the plugs about a 16th of a turn first and then let the penetrating oil sit . Still didn't stop 3 of my plugs from breaking off in the head!.

I am just glad that I had the lesli tool made for extracting the dang broken plugs or it would have been a lot worse of a job to do ( for sale by the way if anyone's interested in it).

Might had a random miss fire and after speaking with everyone .... I was sure that was the problem. And it was....runs excellent ever since (put about 6,000 miles on it since) BUT I did install new accel ignition coils seeming I was right there doing plugs anyhow.

glad you got it taken care of and it didn't end up being another issue.

How many miles were on your engine? ,mine had just a tad under 100,000 miles when I did my plugs.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best way is to use pb blaster and an impact... Went 8 for 8 with no problems..
Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by culprit1384
Best way is to use pb blaster and an impact... Went 8 for 8 with no problems..
I have seen guys say this worked for them. More power to them lol because I couldn't bring myself to running an impact on my aluminum heads. All it would take is for one REALLY stuck plug to make a huge mess for you once you blast it with the impact. And its easier to remove a broken plug with the tool made for the job than it is removing a broken plug and drilling and tapping and sleaving a new spark plug hole.

(at least that's how I looked at it when I did the job). I know there are a bunch of guys who do it that way....not saying it doesn't work. It just makes me cringe is all lol.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dusterdude72
I used kroil when I did mine. Let it sit a long time. Even did what ford recommended and just cracked the plugs about a 16th of a turn first and then let the penetrating oil sit . Still didn't stop 3 of my plugs from breaking off in the head!. I am just glad that I had the lesli tool made for extracting the dang broken plugs or it would have been a lot worse of a job to do ( for sale by the way if anyone's interested in it). Might had a random miss fire and after speaking with everyone .... I was sure that was the problem. And it was....runs excellent ever since (put about 6,000 miles on it since) BUT I did install new accel ignition coils seeming I was right there doing plugs anyhow. glad you got it taken care of and it didn't end up being another issue. How many miles were on your engine? ,mine had just a tad under 100,000 miles when I did my plugs.
I had similar symptoms. I'm at 96,000 miles now, but the problem started a few thousand earlier and slowly got worse. Been a few days and all is good..... now, I just need to do something about that damn ticking from my broken manifold stud! $$$$ It never ends.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 PM

Received 105 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by JCooper
Exactly. I wish I knew what kind it was. He said it was like $30/can. Anyway, once the plugs were out, it was obvious that the lubricant penetrated down through all the threads and into the head. Impressive stuff.
Could you ask him what kind?
Old 01-21-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by 11rangerZ520
Could you ask him what kind?
Yes. I'll ask him and advise. It was from a salesman who came by his shop company name had 2 initials. Maybe local.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 AM
Rhino hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe, BG44k

Quick Reply: New Spark Plugs!!!