Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

New sound under truck..need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New sound under truck..need help!!!!

2007 F-150 5.4 Triton V8 4x4 Super Cab

Hey guys, started driving the other morning and as soon as I got around 50mph, I heard this type of crackling/metalic sound come from under my truck then it went away. Parked my truck for the day and once I left work and got up to 50mph I heard the same sound, coming from both the driver and passenger sides.

I took a peak under the truck and there was nothing loose or hanging that would make this sound. I'm a little confused on what it could be.

Could it be my catalytic converter? Muffler?

I revved the engine yesterday and the muffler was making a popping sound??

If anyone has experienced something similiar to this or has any idea what this could be, please share.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jurgy
2007 F-150 5.4 Triton V8 4x4 Super Cab

Hey guys, started driving the other morning and as soon as I got around 50mph, I heard this type of crackling/metalic sound come from under my truck then it went away. Parked my truck for the day and once I left work and got up to 50mph I heard the same sound, coming from both the driver and passenger sides.

I took a peak under the truck and there was nothing loose or hanging that would make this sound. I'm a little confused on what it could be.

Could it be my catalytic converter? Muffler?

I revved the engine yesterday and the muffler was making a popping sound??

If anyone has experienced something similiar to this or has any idea what this could be, please share.
My truck used to do it sometimes when it shifted into over drive when I was running 35" toyo tires that were too heavy for the truck. Since went with smaller tires and I haven't heard it again. Never figured out what it was but it never sounded good..
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Got me... only thing that comes to mind that could make a "pop or crackle" sound would be water dripping on exhaust; but that would make sound at all speeds, not just at 50 MPH.

If the cat was bad, it too would make a sound, or cause poor performance; they usually begin to cause a "sour egg" smell in the exhaust too.

At 50 MPH, does the truck shift into overdrive at that point? I'm trying to think of something that happens specifically at 50 MPH that's related to this noise...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread might help, Because when I had the noise your describing I also had this https://www.f150forum.com/f4/overdrive-shudder-38519/.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I do not have any loss in power nor is it shuddering.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,683 Likes on 588 Posts

Stop running over midgets.

< This guy has no useful information to contribute but is simply bored so I felt the need to interject a sorry attempt at humor.

/threadjack.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lenn
Stop running over midgets.

< This guy has no useful information to contribute but is simply bored so I felt the need to interject a sorry attempt at humor.

/threadjack.

midgets with little metal hats on?.........hahahaha

Quick Reply: New sound under truck..need help!!!!